The FEAR of the Unknown

Suzanne B.
on 4/1/13 7:03 am, edited 4/1/13 7:35 am - OR

Hey are you trying to make up your mind about having Weight Loss Surgery?

What is the scariest part about having Weight Loss surgery?  The UNKNOWN is the biggest factor about having weight loss surgery for most of us.  We know that we have failed in one way or the other at trying to lose weight from our past experiences.  We may have lost it, to only regain all the weight back again.  Then we beat up ourselves up emotional because we feel we have failed at another attempt of weight loss AGAIN.  I have been just where you are right now. You are sitting out there trying to figure out if weight loss surgery is going to work for you? 

Well, I want you to know that I am in my 60’s, and I had tried for at least 30 years to lose the weight on my own after having two children.  I could lose it, but I would regain it back again.  I felt like such a failure.  Here are the things I know for a fact now.  I had an addiction to food, and I had a disease.  If you went to the doctor, and he said you have a disease, and we have a cure for you, you would do it right away. What are you waiting for this is your answer to have WLS.

For me, my cure was weight loss surgery.  It is NOT the easy way out. It requires work and effort on your part!  It is the tool that allows you to get to the right weight for you and to keep it off.  You will make lifestyle changes in how you eat and what you eat.  You will need to do the same thing for the rest of your life; and it is so easy to continue to live like this.  Do I feel deprived?  NO, not at all; I eat healthy and I have yummy things to eat.  I eat small amounts of food and feel good about what I am eating.  I do treat myself to some desert now and then.  I have also learned to bake some great deserts that are health things that I can eat and are very yummy. You will always have to watch what you are eating.  This is NOT a miracle cure. I also exercise. I walk for my exercise 3 to 4 miles, but I sure didn't start out walking that much at first.  Some people don’t exercise.  I used to be the person who hated to exercise; now I really enjoy it.  Here is the best part about have WLS, I never feel hungry! 

So if you are sitting out there contemplating having weight loss surgery, I urge you to make the choice to save your own life and have a whole new life as a thin and healthy person.  If I can do this, so can you.  I am always here to answer any and all of your question if you have any!  You are slowly killing yourself with food and a fork!

I went to Dr. Aceves, and he is an amazing surgeon who has such as big heart!  His skills are superior and so are all his staff’s. I can’t speak about any of the other doctors because Dr. Aceves is the only person I have had experience with. The hospital far exceeds anything I have ever experienced in the USA. You will do your recovery in the same hospital you had your surgery in.  I highly recommend Dr. Aceves and his staff if you want the very best care you can have!

Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/1/13 7:46 am - Burleson, TX

SUZANNE-what a FABULOUS thread !!!!!!

I'd like to join you, if I may. I will be 11 years post RNY later this month (the 22nd), and my journey has been far from "usual", but I think it has made me a stronger, better group leader/mentor/friend...I did not reach "that elusive, stinkin' goal number" until I was 9 YEARS out, and had a 70 pound regain/reloss along the way..and many variable pounds in between...

I don't believe in "fairy farts and rainbow" advice..This post op life can be downright HARD..but so can being 340 lbs, and I'll take THIS life any day!

Like you, I'm also happy to share any experiences, and answer any questions I can..but..my disclaimer:

Be ready for the truth..it's all I know..

Again--really, really fabulous thread !

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Suzanne B.
on 4/1/13 8:54 am - OR
On April 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM Pacific Time, Gina (Tx) wrote:

SUZANNE-what a FABULOUS thread !!!!!!

I'd like to join you, if I may. I will be 11 years post RNY later this month (the 22nd), and my journey has been far from "usual", but I think it has made me a stronger, better group leader/mentor/friend...I did not reach "that elusive, stinkin' goal number" until I was 9 YEARS out, and had a 70 pound regain/reloss along the way..and many variable pounds in between...

I don't believe in "fairy farts and rainbow" advice..This post op life can be downright HARD..but so can being 340 lbs, and I'll take THIS life any day!

Like you, I'm also happy to share any experiences, and answer any questions I can..but..my disclaimer:

Be ready for the truth..it's all I know..

Again--really, really fabulous thread !

Congratulations to you. I love your style and being honest it just how I am too. It was hard work and a lot of effort and I will always be watching what I eat. I love having the restriction. Keep spreading the word. Sometimes they need to hear the truth, because candy coating things only makes it harder.

Hugs to you,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Most Active