5 days post op and already cheated...HELP!!!

cherylannpowers
on 6/25/13 3:22 am

Your surgery worked....but do you realize not all people have dumping syndrome all the time.  I can something one day and it not bother me and then eat it again on another day and have all kinds of problems.  You went through the surgery, so you must really want the weightloss...just drink your water, broth and jello....trust me...the cravings go away to the point where if someone mentions a cookie or in my case a big mac...I actually get a stomach ache....I loved big macs and have not had one since my surgery...8+ years ago....get support and if at all possible, get the junk out of the house....out of sight is out of mind.  When you crave a sweet, take a walk....get light weights and do arm curls...it will take your mind off of it too.

Cheryl

Angela B.
on 6/25/13 3:43 am - Austin, IN
I'm almost 5 years post RNY and I'm still not perfect and never will be. None of us will. Don't be so hard on yourself and just keep trying! Any time you mess up pick yourself back up right then. Don't wait until tomorrow or next week to start over. We have to work at this for the rest of our lives. I hope I have encouraged you. Please don't give up!

Candis W.
on 6/25/13 5:14 am - NY

Hi, I love fried chicken, this is an absolute true story, after surgery I was awakened by the ER staff saying breathe, breathe, when I opened my eyes they all looked like fried chicken legs and the top of the leg was their faces saying breathe, that was the best looking chicken legs I have ever seen CRUSTY and fried to perfection.    Please, make the sacrifice, the amount of weight loss you will encounter will blow your mind in the post op stage.  I had the surgery three years ago, I was 310 and now weigh 150.  I had diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesteral, arthritis, asthma, and no energy at 5' 1 carrying this weight was difficult.  I was determined to do what ever it took to loose the weight because if I had to get surgery I did not want it to go in vain.  I was off all medications within two weeks after the surgery and lost 37 pounds between the surgery and my first follow up visit.  I do not feel ashamed of you and you should not feel ashamed because you have done the right thing admitting your mistake.  When I had my surgery it was in September and at Thanksgiving, I sat in front of the peach pie and ate more than I should have, I was so sick afterwards, however, if I had of succommed to this mistake, I would not have the success i have now.   My advice is to drink your shakes, drink plenty of water (I used splender and 0 calorie beverages) to help in the water issue and still could only drink at the max 48 ounces, currently I drink at a minimum 96 ounces of water per day.  When you awake in the morning drink as much water as possible, take your shakes and know that an occasional slip up does not mean that the surgery will not work for you.  Call your surgeons office and inform them of this, I am sure they will instruct you correctly and finally, make sure they let you know what can happen in the immediate post of stage in regards to your health.  Perhaps, you need a detailed explanation again as to what has happened to your system.  Sincerely Candy

Candy W.  Happy Thanksgiving!    
lovedbymany09
on 6/25/13 6:33 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13

Nobody is perfect at all. I would highly recommend you see a therapist to help out with the craving and addiction to foods ASAP. Speaking of the Egg salad, you moved to quickly on that because you should have been on a liquid diet for at least 2 weeks. I'm almost a month out and just started on seafood but still I haven't moved to a regular diet. You must remember why you had the surgery in the first place and stick to the new lifestyle. Yes, when I see sweets I want them but I refuse to go back to what I'm leaving which is being overweight, out breath, no energy and High blood pressure. Trust me, the surgery worked and you don't won't to mess up your new stomach by eating foods that's not suppose to be in there. You just had surgery and you are still healing. I mean really, do you want the surgeon to go back in there and risk you have surgery again which is dangerous??

The race isn't given to swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...Be Blessed!!!

easytexan
on 6/25/13 12:57 pm - New Braunfels, TX

Don't feel bad because you have cheated.  You will up/downs because our old self is still there and that has not changed.   Eat more protein foods that will help you be satisfied.  I do alot of protein drinks and I am post op almost 4 years.   I still crave carbs that is my weakness but I justify this by the amount of food that I eat during the day.   Involve yourself in walking or doing some form of exercise.  This can help you take your mind of food. 

Jesus Mendoza

Texas

Lisa A.
on 6/25/13 2:01 pm

I am almost 9 years out. You will have lots of head hunger for the rest of your life. The first 2 years are the most important for weight loss. The surgery is just a tool. Your success depends on how well you use your tool. It is all up to you. Everyone slips up and makes mistakes (maybe not as early as you have) but just get back on track and do what you need to do. Protein Protein Protein and Chew Chew Chew are words to live by. Please stay on the soft foods until your Dr. tells you otherwise. Don't feel deprived feel blessed to have been able to have the surgery. Good luck. Send me a message anytime. I am here for you. :)

Glitter Text Generator

K. Andrews
on 6/26/13 10:37 pm - Trotwood, OH
RNY on 09/06/06 with
I guess I was too vain after having wls 9/6/06 to mess up because too many haters were waiting for me to fail. After almost 7 years people at work have the nerve to try to have an interventionl because going from 225 lbs at 5'4 to 120 lbs size 20-22 to 4-6 and exercising 6 days a week (love trx) they are worried about me.....lets see much healthier and happy save that worry when I gaine the weight back....not going to happen as long as I know people want to say I knew she would gain it back. Say good bye to those cookies and hello looking and feeling fab.

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/13 3:23 am - CA

I had the same surgery and got down to 160lbs and then started going right back up..all the classes before surgery didn't tell me that I would be able to get away with cheating but I could! I think they do the surgeries conservativly these days (I think they make the stomach too big now). Anyway I'm back up to 200lbs in two years post surgery.

I recommend "Shrink Yourself" program....it's about the mental aspect of weight gain. You can look it up online and do it for fee but it's alot cheaper to order the book. The website has a free "ebook" that has a lot of the information. I'm trying to work the programsince it really seems to be the key (and you don't have to go to any groups, it's not a 12 step. You can do it at home by yourself)

Terry

phatygurl10
on 7/5/13 1:11 am - CA
RNY on 06/17/13
Thank you for the suggestion. I checked out the reviews on the book and will be ordering it soon .
Most Active