Being Prepared on Road Trips or Long Days?

ckennedy30
on 7/15/13 5:04 am

I was curious is there something you carry with you all the time or pack for when you are out and about when you get hungry?  Since you would not be able to stop in at McDonalds what do you carry all the time?

Chris

Kim S.
on 7/15/13 6:42 am - Helena, AL

I do occasionally have "fast food".  I'll get the egg mcmuffin for breakfast, or the grilled chicken snack wraps at McD's.  At Taco Bell I've had the chicken soft tacos.  At BK, a Whopper Jr. There are many options, I just don't use them often....only a few times a year.

I always have "purse chicken" (a grilled chicken breast that I carry with me and eat off it all day long), a banana, Slim Jims, Kashi bars, and/or nuts/trail mix...........depending on how long I'll be away from a restaurant or a store.

Eggface
on 7/15/13 8:51 am - Sunny Southern, CA

It's not really that difficult and there are plenty of options... cold cuts/cheeses from a supermarket (can I get a couple of slices of turkey and cheese I'm going on a picnic is my common line), hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, yogurts, RTD's ready to drink protein shakes are available pretty much everywhere (convenience stores), I toss protein bars in my bag or almonds. I love my bento box lunches http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-be nto-box-rocks.html  and yup the occasional fast food stop with some menu modifications http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2010/01/strat egies-for-eating-out.html

Easy peasy :)

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Tracy D.
on 7/15/13 11:16 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
Love, love, love your website!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Eggface
on 7/15/13 12:08 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Aww Thank You Tracy. Writing it helps me keep my head in the game so I thank you for reading along.

~Shell

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/13 3:29 pm

In the beginning I used to be terrified of not having enough to eat  !  My purse was always stuffed with nuts , sandwiches and snacks lol.  Most went bad, honestly .

Years later I seem to have grown into a "normal" "skinny" person... that is to say I don't even think of eating until I'm actually ravenous ... and then its not a federal crime to grab some occasional fast food or street food or share some sushi with a friend. What I CAN do now that I never could before WLS is PORTION CONTROL lol .  I don't need or WANT to eat a whole bag of burgers .

I still PREFER the lower fat " healthier " foods honestly so I'll often go back to my old stamdbys when traveling  .. a three dollar styrofoam cooler in a strange land filled with hotel ice ,lean  coldcuts , mustard ,fat free cheese and free  hotel yogurts n fruits ....

There are two foods I would warn U against - cheese and ice cream..  Butterfat makes calves gain 1000 lbs a year ..enuf said .  ((((())))) 

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/15/13 8:38 pm
I always have food in my purse and additional in my car. Much less than a couple years ago., but I still carry nuts. My car has nuts and some -no chocolate protein bars. If nothing else - munching on a few nuts prevents me from being too hungry and making bad choices or eating too fast when I finally can.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CPA_Loser
on 7/16/13 10:50 am - WA

Thanks so much Egg-face for sharing your page. I have already browsed through a handful of posts and love all the tips and tricks you have for keeping the weight off. It is awesome to see how healthy you are and yet you still eat food that you enjoy. I don't know about anyone else, but one thing that scares me is that I will have the surgery and lose the weight ad then not be able to maintain because I just cannot imagine ever being able to drink protein shakes and hardly eat anything for the rest of my life! I will totally refer back to your site both before and after my surgery

MsBatt
on 7/16/13 11:16 am

How you can eat after surgery is going to depend a lot on which form of WLS you choose to have. I'm 9.5 years out from my DS, and in that time I've had ONE protein shake. I eat VERY well---between 2500 and 3000 tasty calories every day. I eat a high-protein, high-fat, moderate-carb 'diet', and I only absorb about half of the calories I eat. This has made maintaining my loss of 170 pounds VERY easy.

Be certain to research ALL your options before you choose which form of WLS to have.

tinamarie_125
on 7/21/13 12:16 am

I try to plan my day out. I work and travel alot. So I bought a cute little insulated lunch bag and some bento boxes. Some of the things I pack are:

tortilla roll ups (you can put anything in them, veggies, lunch meat, cream cheese)

cut up veggies (i love those crunchy peas, red peppers, carrots, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes) and hummus

Baybel cheese wheels (looovee those)

fresh fruit

These things take a little bit of planning, but not much. I also keep almonds, special k bars in my purse

RNY 8/17/09, Starting weight 236 right before surgery, lowest weight after surgery was 126. Currently afraid of the scale....

Most Active