New to this site, Awaiting insurance,

TopherCarter
on 7/23/13 11:17 am - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

So, I allow me to introduce myself. My name is Christopher.  I enjoy pina coladas, horseback riding, and long walks on the beach.  ;)

Here I am...I have finished all the pre-legwork that my insurance requires, and my surgeon has submitted everything to my insurance as of 2 weeks ago.  All I'm doing now is waiting. 

I love this site.  I've spent a couple of days exploring, and I'm very excited to start my weight loss journey. 

When I began, I weighed in at 368 lbs.  As a 35 year old,  I never had self image issues, and quite frankly, the weight was never an issue by way of me getting around or being active/social.  It wasn't until this past December, I was hospitalized for something completely unrelated.  But while there, I discovered I had pretty crazy hypertension.  Since I've lived on my own (from the age of 19), I never had a family physician or a GP.  I had a few close friends and a couple of family members who had weight loss surgery, but I had never considered it.  But after being discharged from the hospital, I had to seek out a GP to follow up on the blood pressure issue. 

Now, I live in a separate town from my family...about an hour or so away.  After a couple of visits with my GP, she recommended I look into WLS, and she referred me to a surgeon.  When I called to set up an appointment, the referred surgeon said he wasn't accepting new patients at the moment, but then referred me to his new partner.  That new partner happened to be the surgeon that performed the Roux en Y on my mother, my brother and my friends...he had just moved into town.  So it seemed like fate put me in this man's care. 

Anyway....thankfully my insurance didn't require a WHOLE lot of pre-op stuff.  No supervised diets.  Only one visit with the nutritionist, surgeon, psychiatrist.  BUT....a whole BOATload of tests.  I started the journey in late April, and here I am...3 months later....waiting for an answer from my insurance company. 

I have a lot of support from my family and friends, which I'm truly thankful for...but hoping to make some friends here, maybe find some support...particularly from anyone who is maybe at the same phase that I am...or even possibly someone who is way post-op that wouldn't mind just being there for silly questions. 

Anyway.  I've had such a good time reading everyone's tips, looking at their pictures, feeling their inspiration and sharing in their journeys.  Thanks for being such an amazing, seemingly tight-knit community. 

MsBatt
on 7/23/13 11:46 am

Owens Cross Roads! I lived in Florence for a number of years.

Just a suggestion---before you go under the knife, research ALL your options. I'm not familiar with your surgeon, but I'm willing to bet he doesn't do the Duodenal Switch. Which, unfortunately, may also mean he hasn't given you complete, accurate information about it, either. I really think everyone needs to understand ALL the available procedures in order to make the best choice about which, if any, is right for them. I suggest you visit all the surgical boards here, including the Revision board, and talk to folks who are at least three years post-op. There's a lot of differences in post-op life from one procedure to the next---be sure you're choosing the one you can best live with happily ever after.

TopherCarter
on 7/24/13 7:27 am - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

Former neighbor! I have lots of family in Florence! :)

I appreciate your advice...I kind of didn't do a whole lot of thinking, primarily because the RnY seemed to be what everyone I know ended up doing.  And after seeing their success, it helped me make up my mind...however, my surgeon ONLY does RnY, sleeve and lapband.  It is definitely worth looking into DS, among others. 

Much thankful! :D

MsBatt
on 7/24/13 7:37 am

The first surgeon I saw didn't do the DS, either, but once I researched it I decided it was worth changing surgeons for. In fact, I was so certain it was the better choice that I opted to pay my surgeon's fee out of pocket instead of getting the RNY basically 'for free'. I'm still VERY glad I did!

Devilwearspaula
on 7/23/13 12:58 pm - MA
VSG on 11/19/13

Welcome!!! I've been on this site for a few months i think now, and i cannot wait to get my surgery. I'm 23 years old and I have high blood pressure and gerd  pcos and back issues and this and that lol So i finally decided to do the weight loss surgery. 

I wanted the gastric bypass but the surgeon told me i should think about the sleeve because of my back.. I've had three back surgeries and if i get the gastric bypass i wont be able to take NSAID's again. So I'm planning on the sleeve! haha

But It's good to have you! Can't wait to hear more about your journey! 

sor09
on 7/23/13 2:18 pm

Hello, and glad to read you gaining charge of your health and quaity of life. As many people suggests, get ALL the facts. I read a lot of people getting VSG, but please do understand, that there is GERD associated with it. I too was going to go for VSG but took the RNY since my per-op GERD was so terrible. No GERD now, so no extra meds needed for GERD post-op. Post-op for me just vitamins daily like. You will need daily vitamins with VSG because it is a mal-absorption surgery too. Just passing a long what I learned pre-op.

MsBatt
on 7/24/13 2:49 am
On July 23, 2013 at 9:18 PM Pacific Time, sor09 wrote:

Hello, and glad to read you gaining charge of your health and quaity of life. As many people suggests, get ALL the facts. I read a lot of people getting VSG, but please do understand, that there is GERD associated with it. I too was going to go for VSG but took the RNY since my per-op GERD was so terrible. No GERD now, so no extra meds needed for GERD post-op. Post-op for me just vitamins daily like. You will need daily vitamins with VSG because it is a mal-absorption surgery too. Just passing a long what I learned pre-op.

Correction---the VSG does NOT have a malabsorption component. There is NO intestinal bypass with the VSG. VSG patients DO need to take vitamins, but this is because they generally just don't eat enough food to supply all the vitamins and minerals a normal human needs, not because they malabsorb them.

TopherCarter
on 7/24/13 7:30 am - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

Thank you for the warm welcome! Is it sad that I just had to google gerd, pcos and nsaid? LOL

Can I say...that doesn't sound fun at all! If you end up with the sleeve, which seems to be your best option, would it potentially help any of your current conditions?

Much love and good karma your way on your journey! As soon as I figure out how to add friends, I'm going to add you.  :D

Thanks again!

Devilwearspaula
on 7/24/13 7:36 am - MA
VSG on 11/19/13

Yes! they said I would increase my chances of having kids!!! WHICH IS HUGE FOR ME!!!! My gerd would go away and i would stop taking the meds for it, the blood pressure meds will be gone (im on two:( ) and If my back acts up and i need surgery again in the future (i probably will) I'd be able to take Tylenol and those types of medicines! 

And to add friends! haha i had the same issue what you do is go to the right hand corner and hover the mouse over MY OH and it will list a bunch of things go to friends and it will show you pending friend requests, and your friends :D Hop that helps!! I added you by the way! hahaha

Member Services
on 7/23/13 1:56 pm - Irvine, CA

We are glad you have joined our community!!

Most Active