One year out....questions about plastics

mich4416
on 9/25/13 5:09 am
RNY on 09/26/12

I will be one year out tomorrow!!!! feeling good and doing just fine!

I have lost 129 pounds total 87 of those since surgery!

I have BCBS insurance anyone have lucj with them covering plastic surgery? My legs look they are melting :)

SandieMc49
on 9/25/13 9:46 pm

I have BCBS of MA - and they covered a panniculectomy - I was able to prove "medical necessity".  Unless you can prove that the excess skin on your legs is causing issues like infections and rashes, BCBS is probably going to consider that "cosmetic" and not cover it.  I work in health insurance - and it's all about medical necessity (as it should be). 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/30/13 4:44 am - OH

I do not personally know of anyone who has gotten insurance to pay for a thigh lift.  I have BCBS  now (but keep in mind that every policy within BCBS is different... some may cover things that others will not) and had Aetna when I had my RNY and my first round of plastic surgery, and neither of them would cover anything except a panniculectomy (and then only if you met criteria for arches, etc. and for how low the extra skin hung down).  No thighs, no breasts (unless you met the criteria for breast reduction), no tummy tuck, no arm lift (even though I had more severe rashes in my arm pits that under my tummy).  Some people with open surgery have been able to get  tummy tuck along with the hernia repair if they develop an incisional hernia.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active