To have or not to have Plastics

Pitoune
on 9/26/13 2:25 am - Montréal, Canada

7 years this month since my RNY.

Alot has happened since, I was doing amazingly at the beginning lost 168 pounds the 1st year went from 368 to 200 and then got pregnant exactly 1 year post-op and regained 78 pounds. Re-lost 50 right after the baby and then over the next 2-3 years went up to 250 - 255 and stabilized at this weight for the last i'd say 3 years.... I've been more careful in the last month and for the 1st time in years have dropped below the 250 and as of this morning am at 248.5

I saw a plastic surgeon almost a year ago for a tummy tuck and I am approved and could have a spot before Christmas. Secretary has already called twice with dates and i've been putting it off...

My question is: Is it worth it? Is having this additional surgery worth it. I had nothing to lose when I was 368 apart from my life and at that point I didn't have much hope to have a better life. Today I have a beautiful 5 year old daughter and what's scaring me is a complication and I won't be there for her.

*~*Pitoune*~*
preview image

SandieMc49
on 9/26/13 2:34 am

Now are you talking about a full out tummy tuck or a panni?  Because I had a panni - and it was a pretty easy surgery and recovery.  To not have that skin hanging over and getting those awful rashes, wow, it was soooooooooooooooo worth it for me.  I don't have memories of much pain or inconvenience either. 

Ummm, I have had shingles twice. . . you wanna talk about pain!!!!!!!

Eggface
on 9/26/13 2:40 am - Sunny Southern, CA

For me... it was a physical issue and an emotional issue. It had to happen...

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/10/not-o k-but-will-be.html

I'm also single and I think that might change things... sucks to have to explain (still do a little of it but not as much)

Be where you want to be weight wise for at least 6 months though for the best outcome. I lost 11 pounds after seems like from my arms so the baby batwings are back.

Congrats on your weight loss and best wishes with your PS research!!

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/26/13 9:30 am

My question is: Is it worth it? Is having this additional surgery worth it.

Only you can answer that question. I had both the body lift and the breast lift.  My body is not perfect.. i have scars, some areas than filled more with fat  and the recovery was long..

But.. considering everything - It was worth for me to have that. I paid cash for mine.. I used my vacation for recovery.. It was worth to me.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

DebsGiz
on 9/26/13 11:46 am - FL

I asked myself if this was me, what would I do?  And the answer, for me, is that I would not have the tummy tuck at this point.

It appears that you are still losing and your weight is still fluctuating; consequently, to go through a tummy tuck at this point, I'm thinking, would not net ideal results.  However, you may want to pose this questions on the plastic board.

I'm just expressing my "gut" feeling, which is not based upon anything but just that.  Gut feeling.

Cathy K.
on 9/27/13 4:29 am

I will have tummy skin removed when I am at goal. Not sure about my arms.

MsBatt
on 9/27/13 10:21 am

This is a decision I haven't had to make. My loose skin doesn't cause me any medical issues, so there's no way my insurance will cover it. I certainly can't afford to self-pay. Plus, I'm 55 and I  lost all my vanity years ago.

Are you actively trying to lose more weight? How important is losing more weight to you? If you're really trying to lose more, then I'd certainly wait until I was certain I wasn't going to get any smaller. I've also heard that plastics are MUCH more painful than WLS.

But if I were to hit the Powerball...(*grin*)

Laura in Texas
on 9/27/13 11:20 pm

If I were trying to lose more, I would wait. I was at goal for over 2 years when I had my lower body lift and breast lift. I wanted to make sure I could maintain my weight. I had to have it done for my mental health. My boyfriend loved me "as-is" and did not want me to get plastics (he was worried about complications and thought I was sexy no matter what). Afterwards even he admitted I made the right choice because he could tell how much better I was mentally and emotionally.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active