I could use some support

TerraFitzhugh
on 11/19/13 3:20 pm - BELLINGHAM, WA

My name is Terra. I'm a 32 year old mother of 2 daughters (ages 10 and 3). I currently weigh 302 lbs, my goal is 150 - 155. My doctor has strongly recommended that I go for the gastric bypass surgery. However, I have hit one roadblock after another. First of all, my doctor, who came recommended for being proactive, is convinced that I will never get approved for the surgery. Secondly, he has put everything on my shoulders. I'm the one who has to find out what the process is, who to contact, when to contact them, how to contact them, and figure out all the guidelines and what my doctor is supposed to do. He told me to call my insurance, who told me to call UW Bariatric Center, who told me that they would send me an informational packet that never arrived. UW now has a call center taking care of all of their calls, and when I called them to try again, I got blown off entirely by the lady who answered the call. 

My mother has suggested joining OA (Overeaters Anonymous) . She said that OA helped Grandma, as well as a few other support groups. She also strongly recommends Weigh****chers. Sadly, Weigh****chers is of no use to me without paying for membership. I am currently a member of SparkPeople.com. I just recently got their exercise tracker (pedometer). I have changed my diet so many times over the years trying to adjust it to where weight loss might come a little easier. Cutting my portions down, increasing the veggies and fruit, decreasing the meat, cutting out red meat entirely and eating only chicken/turkey. I have tried some OTC diet pills, can't remember what they were. 

All in all, I'm needing help and guidance to figure out what Exactly it is that I need to be doing. Where is square one? Is there anyone in my area who is willing to get together once or twice a week, to start, to walk? Is there anyone who has gone to OA, who would be willing to go with me? 

Almost 100% of my support system is online. I'm in search of support that is more local, people who understand the fight I'm in, and what it is like to be in this battle. 

Mama Terra

Texas Girl
on 11/20/13 2:11 am

Wow, Terra,

Wish i could help you but I am in Arizona. I am a hermit and did nothing to help myself for years. I understand your frustration with the weight loss process. I am needing to lose some weight and would like a walking partner but not living near you can not help. I hope life for you gets better and you reach your goals. Remember you are valuable and it is worth it to keep up the fight to achieve your goals.

God Bless you.

Connie

TerraFitzhugh
on 11/20/13 3:42 am - BELLINGHAM, WA

Thank you, Connie. That means a lot. I don't tend to hear that very often. :) 

Mama Terra

Member Services
on 11/20/13 2:12 am, edited 11/20/13 2:12 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Terra,

Sadly this is true for anything today. It seems like no one wants to help and or do their jobs and it's all on our shoulders to make it happen.  First of all it sounds like you need to get a new PCP.  If he/she is not helping you move on to someone that will.

Secondly, Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey.   We suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon.  We can help you with that.     ​​ Here are some links that will be helpful in your research.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-procedure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practice-2/http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/  

Let us know if you need anything else at [email protected]  

Regards,

Member Services

TerraFitzhugh
on 11/20/13 3:44 am - BELLINGHAM, WA

Thank you so much! It's nice to finally have somewhere to turn for help. It's so hard to be alone, and to feel alone during a process like weight loss. 

Mama Terra

Member Services
on 11/20/13 3:58 am - Irvine, CA

If you are leaning towards a certain surgery type be sure and post there for support and your state forum as well!  We are all here for you  

TerraFitzhugh
on 11/20/13 5:37 am - BELLINGHAM, WA

Thank you again. I will definitely do that. :) 

Mama Terra

safruge
on 11/20/13 4:34 am

Hi Terra,

I've just started the sign - up process but wanted to let you know that I'm in the Tri-Cities in SE Washington. Good luck and keep us posted :-)

TerraFitzhugh
on 11/20/13 5:37 am - BELLINGHAM, WA

That's great! Good luck to you out there in the Tri-Cities! 

Mama Terra

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/20/13 6:09 am - OH

You do NOT have to do all that stuff yourself!  Find a reputable surgeon in your area who is covered under your insurance plan and who does whichever surgeries you are considering, and go to their information seminar or schedule an appt with the surgeon, whichever their procedure involves.  Then, the surgeon's office staff will handle all the details, including finding out whether the surgery is covered by your insurance and, if so, what is required in order to get approval.  

The surgeon's office may also have a support group that you can start attending while you are going through the approval process.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active