No pain meds post op?

Gillyc
on 11/27/13 8:22 am
DS on 12/17/13

I did not use any pain meds post op for either of my c-sections (except the morphine shot for them closing me up (they undid and re-did the stitches after removing my epidural)).  When I had my gallbladder out (before either c-section), I had taken pain-killers post op but I did not move enough and the pain had seemed intolerable even with the pain killers I had been given.

So I guess i'm wondering how many people have gone without pain killers post op?  How did it feel?  I imagine the pain would be a bit different for a DS vs a c-section, but I liked knowing how my body was feeling, knowing how much I could pu**** and when I was over exerting.  However, perhaps taking something to reduce the pain would be a luxury.  

I'm torn.

Member Services
on 11/27/13 9:46 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Gillyc,

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. As you might imagine it's different for each person.  All we can say, if you feel you need them take them. Being in pain hampers your healing process and if you don't need them great.

Keep us posted!

Happy Thanksgiving!

cajungirl
on 11/27/13 11:12 am

I have a pretty high pain tolerance.  I had a morphin pump in the hospital. They kept telling me to use it. I pain meds knock me out and I didn't want to sleep so I could walk. 

I took my last pain pill the next night after going home. The almost 2 hour drive was uncomfortable so to be sure I slept I took one. That was it. Was I pain free no but the pain was manageable and more discomfort than pain. Btw I had RNY and several other surgeries before and after. My RNY experience was not the easiest but not the hardest recovery. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Mo Diggity
on 11/27/13 9:53 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

There is NO WAY I could've gotten through without the pain meds !! Everyone is different though. I remember the 1st night I came home. I woke up in the middle of he night in pretty bad pain, but I couldn't move around enough to find the pain med (somewhere on my bed). I said screw it, I'll try to go back to sleep. The next time I woke up, I could BARELY BREATHE with the pain !! Then I knew why everyone on here said to take the meds on time !!!

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/27/13 12:37 pm, edited 11/27/13 12:37 pm - OH

I have never had any kind of surgery where I did not take pain meds for at least 3 or 4 days (usually more) even after a lap surgery.  If you were able to deal with a C-section with so little pain meds, you obviously have a pain tolerance that is higher than mine.

The one thing  you should keep in mind about a DS or RNY is that there is a lot of internal work that is done even if you just have 5 or 6 small incisions, so there will be more internal pain and less muscular pain than with an open surgery like a c-section.  Since you had more pain with the gallbladder surgery, I would expect that you would react to WLS more like the gallbladder removal.

Just because you have pain meds doesn't mean you have to take them, of course!   Just play it by ear, but make sure you have them if you need them

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

TurnThePage
on 11/27/13 1:40 pm

If you have pain, you need to be taking pain meds because pain slows healing.  The trick is to take the meds before the pain builds because it is much harder to slow down once it starts, thus it is best to take the meds as scheduled rather than waiting for the pain to build.

However, not everyone has pain of any consequence. I had a pain pump the morning after surgery. Maybe used it twice. Never had any pain meds after that, nor did I need any.  None, zip, nada.  Midsection was a wee bit tender for a week, but not more than if I'd bumped the corner of the kitchen table and bruised myself. 

My advice is to not worry about things that are not (or at least not yet) a problem for you. Educate yourself so that you can deal with issues if they arise, but don't waste your time and energy worrying about them.  One step at a time, one day at a time!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/27/13 9:24 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I had the VSG with Dr Gagner over a year ago. I had one morphine shot right after surgery when I woke up - more out of fear than because of any pain I may have been feeling, and one more the morning after and that was all. I took no pain meds at all orally and was not uncomfortable. He does a great job! And I am a wuss when it comes to pain so I was prepared to be doped up for weeks but as it turns out didn't need anything beyond those two shots. Greatest of luck to you and regards to the whole team in Montreal if you are having your surgery there - I had mine at the Westmount Surgical centre. Dr Gagner is a magician with his hands. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Gillyc
on 11/28/13 2:51 am
DS on 12/17/13

Thanks for all of your stories.  I suppose I will only know after the operation!  There were definitely some words of wisdom that I will take to heart.

I think i'm just a bit nervous, I thought I'd be waiting over a year (or two) and it's all happened in under 2 months.  I'm struggling to get my tests done (and processed) in the 2 weeks they've given me.

Have to keep positive, I know it's for the best and I will likely be laughing at myself later...

Valerie G.
on 11/28/13 4:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I only needed the pain killers for my first week home, then I think I was down to ibuprophen from there for a bit.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Mo Diggity
on 11/28/13 12:07 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

Just out of curiosity, was there a reason you were taking ibuprofen ?? I thought we were supposed to stay away from nsaids ???

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

Most Active