Did anyone go into surgery feeling yucky from pre-op diet?

staceyp1105
on 12/17/13 11:39 pm - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

My surgery is later today(2pm checkin).  I have been on clear liquids for past two days which was hard.  Since then, let's just say i did not start the colace.  I was having the opposite problem.  

I woke up really dehydrated with a major headache.  I was told I could do clear liquids until 8am but felt really bad.

called surgeon office and got a call back within 5 minutes from my actual surgeon (impressive...wasn't expecting that).  Anyway, he said I could take Tylenol and told me to drink a protein shake (not clear) before 8am and then nothing else.

i feel better but not great.  I just wondered if it's common to go into surgery feeling so off, weak and tired? I expected the trying time to be POST surgery.

PetHairMagnet
on 12/18/13 12:33 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I was on liquids 22 days pre-op and felt fine the morning of surgery. Hope the shake helped you feel better!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/18/13 1:56 am - OH

I have heard of people experiencing that.  Part of the reason my surgeon did not require a pre-op liquid diet is that she wanted people as healthy and strong as possible going into surgery.

I am sure you will do fine.  Even if you still don't feel great before surgery, it likely won't affect how you feel afterward on the pain meds!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

staceyp1105
on 12/18/13 2:55 am - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Thanks!  I leave in about an hour.  I'm hungry but feeling better

Most Active