Yesterday, I got fitted for sneakers...

Dcgirl
on 2/8/14 5:49 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

...and how have I never done this before?!

I have always bought sneakers at DSW or sometimes online, but yesterday I went to a full-fledged running/biking store, where they will fit you for sneakers.

They had me walk on a treadmill while a video recorded 15 seconds of my walking (knees down).  After, in slow motion, they could mark the angle that my knees are when I am stepping.  It turns out, I "pronate" and need stabilizer shoes so that I don't walk on the insides of my feet so much!  Then, I stood on this glass panel that shows where my feet are touching the glass through some sort of infrared sensor.  This lets them know how my arches are.  Then they had me try on various Asics, Brooks, and Newton shoes that were custom-picked based on my gait!  I chose the Asics, and they feel infinitely more supportive than my old Adidas!

I just thought I would share in case you haven't been fit for sneakers.  I am not a runner, just a walker, but I feel so good about my new purchase and hopefully you have a store in your town/city where you can get fitted as well!

Hope you're all having a great weekend!

gtrdyfor50
on 2/8/14 6:03 am
RNY on 10/08/13
It really is worth it to do that. Glad that you had a good experience!

TexasTerritory
on 2/8/14 6:25 am, edited 2/8/14 6:25 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I recently participated in a similar fitting. It was awesome to see how I protect the left foot which was broken in a snow ski accident. I avoid placing weight upon my left big toe. I now have shoes that compensate for that habit.
ReginaPhelange
on 2/8/14 10:35 am
RNY on 02/24/14

I need to that, I have the flatest feet and my arches KILL me when i start excerising

cajungirl
on 2/8/14 1:11 pm

There's no one where that does. I wear Asics now because they fit me best. My heal is narrow and slides up on my other tennis shoes. 

I would like mine properly measured. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Gina 21 Years Out
on 2/8/14 5:53 pm - Burleson, TX

D-Do y'all have something like Luke's Locker or one of the New Balance stores? Of course, at the NB store, they will only see NB shoes..lol...but they are great shoes!!

I buy walk/run shoes about 2 x year, and go to a running store in Arlington. They don't have the fancy stuff-just the treadmill testing, but they save my info, and note any changes changes. It's amazing how my stride/gait changes with wt loss/gain/loss..They treat me like I'm training for the olympics

While shoe SIZE, etc is important, the inserts can be SO beneficial also. My right foot is about 1/4 size bigger, than my left foot, so they showed me how to put the proper insert in my left shoe-WORLD of difference...And who knew what a difference the proper SOCKS could make?!?!

Once I KNOW what size I wear in a certain brand/style shoe I could even BUY them somewhere cheaper (and have-usually for a 2nd pair-like on ebay)...

IMHO you just can't beat a proper fitting, by someone who knows what they are doing

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

cajungirl
on 2/8/14 1:11 pm
Linda_S
on 2/8/14 2:55 pm - Eugene, OR

Nothing so important as good gear, especially shoes, when you're going out to exercise.  I had a similar fitting several years back, perhaps not quite so high tech, but it really helped.  I also wear Asics shoes.  The name is a Latin phrase that means a sound mind in a sound body.  I like that.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

PetHairMagnet
on 2/9/14 10:40 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I was fit when I was about 270 lbs and then again at 220 and will go again in 10 more lbs. Your gait CAN change as your body changes. 

I pronate and am in the Asics GT-2000 and LOVE them! I have a pair of GT-1000 and they are great, but the 2000 are my favorites for sure!

My #1 recommendation for anyone walking or running is to be professional analyzed for gait before buying any shoe and then to buy two pair so you can rotate.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Gwen M.
on 2/10/14 3:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I LOVE my custom fitted shoes.  They're Brooks and the best ever for me :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active