Do you tell people about having had a RNY?

Heather D.
on 2/27/14 6:22 am

I told everyone that was relevant in my life. This includes coworkers, close friends, and close family. I was out a month at work and figured they would be asking a lot of questions and honestly, I suck at lying! The support from everyone has been amazing! I haven't gone so far as to make it "Facebook/Twitter official" because, frankly, it's none of their business. All the positive supports were told. 

Racewalker48
on 2/27/14 7:11 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I told my immediate family, my 2 best friends, and my boyfriend.  That's it.  Not my coworkers, not my boss.  I have been out for about 2 weeks and work from home, so I won't have to deal with my co workers just yet. I don't plan to tell them even if they ask.  I won't lie though, I am a lousy liar. 

Judi47
on 2/27/14 7:23 am - Boston, MA

Im in the same boat.

laura343
on 2/27/14 7:29 am

I told everyone.  Friends, family, co-workers.  I am very proud of myself for taken this step.  And i don't want to lie to people when they ask me about my weight lost.  Me being open has given interest to many co-workers on the procedure.  this is a blessing and i want to share it.    

Twinkles2147
on 2/27/14 11:18 am

I told very few people and swore them to secrecy. i told no family members. it was such a huge decision that took me 5 years to make. Would I do it the same way again, ABSOLUTELY.  I will let people know on an individual basis and only when I am d**n good and ready. 

Stay true to yourself and the rest will follow as and when it should. 

Hope this helps.

Blessings

Sherrie P.
on 2/27/14 11:46 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I will tell anyone who asks. I told my family and co workers etc before hand. Now that I am at goal weight every-single-human that asks me about my weight loss wants to know how I did it. There is no way I would feel comfortable lying to that many people.  The usual response is "oh good for you - it looks like you've done great!"  Followed by "my so-and-so had that done..." 

Now that I am meeting new people at this size - I don't say - "oh and by the way I just lost 130 pounds and I used to be morbidly obese, so what out I may blow back up any day now...."  I just don't bring it up.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

dragonlove
on 2/27/14 12:23 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

Everyone has different cir****tances and different personalities around them.  Since you asked what each of us did, here's mine.

Before the surgery, I told my bosses, a couple of close friends at work, all of my family and a couple of people at church.  Since then, I have told more people at work, about everyone at church, and a few perfect strangers (massage therapist, waitress, etc.)  There are still people I work with every day that I haven't told, but that is mostly because they aren't people I talk about personal stuff with.  If they ask or mention anything about my loss, I'll probably tell them.  I am blessed by a large group of super-supportive people.  I've educated a bunch of people about what WLS really is!  The massage therapist actually thought it was the same thing as liposuction!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Gwen M.
on 3/2/14 11:14 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Did you have any problems with massage post-op?  Is there anything I should warn my massage therapist about?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

dragonlove
on 3/3/14 5:28 am
RNY on 11/20/13

I went first about two weeks after surgery to try to get some relief from the shoulders/neck/back ache from surgery and sleeping awkwardly.  Obviously, I was unable to lie down so I had them give me a chair massage - even that was very very tricky that early.  I suggest waiting until 3 weeks... I had to really slump in the massage chair to keep from resting on my highest incision.

After that, I just waited until I felt comfortable lying on my tummy in my own bed. Before that time, I still felt like my insides were shifting and tender. I still felt swollen internally.  Once those sensations went away, I don't have any issues at all with getting a normal massage.   

Simply, warn them that you will probably be away for several weeks and that if you do come in, at first they will have to simply massage your shoulders and neck and you will not be able to lie down.  Later, no changes or considerations needed by your therapist.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Gwen M.
on 3/3/14 5:33 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Thank you very much!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active