dumping syndrome

mini__me
on 2/26/14 11:03 pm

Hi, I'm 3 months post op after having gastric bypass surgery.  All is going very well - maybe too well in that I sometimes forget that I have had surgery.  I chose gastric bypass because of my sugar addiction and am now disappointed that I don't seem to have a bad reaction to eating sugar.  I don't want to keep testing the limits so any suggestions for controlling sugar intake would be appreciated.

Kate -True Brit
on 2/26/14 11:51 pm - UK

I have seen different figures quoted but it seems to be the case that less than half of those with gastric bypass dump. 

If you are addicted to sugar, maybe you need to go cold turkey and clear it out of your diet entirely. My own way was to allow sugars as part of my daily calorie allowance. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Bette B.
on 2/27/14 1:23 am

I have several RNY friends who have NEVER had a dumping episode. It's weird how some people have them and some don't.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

poet_kelly
on 2/27/14 2:28 am - OH

Gastric bypass surgery is not a treatment for addiction.  Most people do not experience dumping syndrome and those that do can usually eat sugar in small amounts.  I'm sorry if you were expecting surgery to cure your addiction and especially sorry your surgeon didn't explain to you that surgery isn't a treatment for addiction.  If you think you are addicted to sugar, i suggest seeking treatment for addiction.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/27/14 4:03 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I believe only around 30% or gastric patients have dumping syndrome. That does not seem to be always made aware to people. The cravings come from our heads so groups or therapy can always help with that.

SunnyDisposition
on 2/27/14 4:35 am - PA

Try to keep your sugars under 18 grams for any particular food. Ex: Yoplait light yogurt has around 18 grams but the regular can be as much as 36 grams per serving. Opt for the light. It's sweet, and healthy, and delicious, and comes in so many flavors that it's sure to satisfy a sweet craving.
Also remember; "just because you can doesn't mean you should". 
I had a friend who used to tell me all of the things she 'could' eat after her surgery. She ended up gaining all of her weight back, and then some more.
Best wishes.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/28/14 4:20 am - OH

There is a HUGE difference in how the body will react to 18g of natural sugar such as in the lactose in regular, unsweetened yogurt or in some fruit than to 18g of processed sugar.! Something with 18g of processed sugar, such as in even a small piece of brownie or in a non-low carb protein bar would make many people sick, so you cannot have a blanket statement about how many generic grams of sugar to stay under.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

mini__me
on 2/27/14 9:35 am

Thank you all for responding to my question about dumping syndrome.  I perhaps overstated my problem as an "addiction" but the advice was still useful and a good reminder that nothing, including surgery, is a substitute for good sense.  It's also helpful to be reminded that each individual reacts differently.  I thought dumping syndrome happened for most if not all gastric bypass people.

Kate -True Brit
on 2/27/14 5:34 pm - UK
On February 27, 2014 at 5:35 PM Pacific Time, mini__me wrote:

Thank you all for responding to my question about dumping syndrome.  I perhaps overstated my problem as an "addiction" but the advice was still useful and a good reminder that nothing, including surgery, is a substitute for good sense.  It's also helpful to be reminded that each individual reacts differently.  I thought dumping syndrome happened for most if not all gastric bypass people.

You're not alone in thinking that about dumping! So many people on here seem not to have been warned by their doctors that dumping is the exception rather than the rule! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/27/14 9:49 pm, edited 2/27/14 9:49 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Yes that is very true just like they think the malabsorbtion is for life because nobody told them it was I believe only for about three years. The nurse at my support group tries to really starts trying to crack down at people at the two year mark by warning them will gain soon because they will lose the malabsorption.

Edited for syntax

Most Active