sleeve/lap band

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/3/14 11:23 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Newbie here, I'm in my last month b4 I can get scheduled for wls and I was thinking lap band, but am now thinking of getting the sleeve. Trying to weigh pro and cons of both b4 final decision,any info from people who have had either one would be helpful., is it odd to want to get something different? I wonder if it's kinda weird when I was so pro lap band but now am considering the sleeve and I wonder more if my doctor might think I'm weird for changing my mind.

AnneGG
on 3/3/14 12:44 pm

I certainly think your doctor will have no problem working with you about figuring out what will work best for you. I changed my mind a couple of times until my surgeon and I figured out what would work best for me.

I started out wanting the lapband because it is the least invasive surgery, but decided I didn't want it because of the level of complications plus maintenance, and looking back now, I'm very grateful I didn't get it. I went with an RNY because of my history of GERD. I would have liked the sleeve so I can take NSAIDs, but the sleeve can make GERD worse.

There is no perfect weight loss surgery, they all have varying benefits and costs as well as risk factors for complications. They also have varying levels of body invasiveness from the lapband which is the least invasive but has a high rate of complications ranging through to the DS, which is the most invasive in terms of innards rearranging, requires the highest skill levels from the surgeon, and carries the highest risk factors for complications. There are also different levels of frequency performed for the surgeries, with the RNY still performed the most frequently, the sleeve catching up, the lapband losing popularity, and the DS performed the least frequently by a large margin.

A useful link for comparison:  http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/weight-loss-surgery-comparison.html

Another one: https://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html 

All of the surgeries require a high level of personal responsibility with lifelong major lifestyle and ha*****ange re: diet and exercise and vitamins and minerals. They don't operate on our brains or emotions or cravings. Eating around them with weight regain is possible for all of them if habits aren't changed.

It's great to ask here regarding people's experience and opinions, but they are only that- personal, amateur, stranger on the internet experiences and opinions shared with you, another stranger on the internet. We can't know your situation and we aren't professionals.

Also people here will often tend to strongly promote the kind of surgery they themselves have had, which may not fit you and your particular requirements. Both of my Bariatric surgeons will only perform three of the types of weight loss surgeries by choice, not because of skill level.

Please make your choice of weight loss surgery that will work best for you in consultation with your Bariatric surgeon because he/she will know your medical history and unique needs.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Bette B.
on 3/4/14 1:36 am

All of the surgeries require a high level of personal responsibility with lifelong major lifestyle and ha*****ange re: diet and exercise and vitamins and minerals. They don't operate on our brains or emotions or cravings. Eating around them with weight regain is possible for all of them if habits aren't changed.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/4/14 6:05 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Thank-you!, will check out the links.

poet_kelly
on 3/3/14 4:28 pm - OH

Are there any pros to the lap band?  The complication rate of those is so high, I'd rather have no WLS than have one. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Judy700
on 3/3/14 5:17 pm
VSG on 03/11/14 with

I, too, thought I would like to have the lap band but that was before I went to my first informational session led by a bariatric surgeon at a major teaching hospital.  She explained what was involved in each of the 3 major surgeries, but said straight out that she does not do lap bands any more.  She said they are just not effective and always counsels against them.  She backed it up with the research both nationally and at their surgery center.  All the research shows the amount of weight loss is significantly less than with sleeve or bypass and the weight that is lost is not maintained long term as well as it is with the sleeve or bypass. I also have a friend who had the lap band done and during vigorous exercise it became dislodged shortly after it was put in, doing her no good at all.  My gastroenterologist strongly supports the sleeve but discourages bypass.  I went to a different surgery center and told my current surgeon I really didn't know what was best for me and he told me he would suggest the sleeve and told me why in my case it would be best.  I do have GERD, but I'm on a PPI which is very effective.  You need to educate yourself on the pros and cons of each and look at what the research shows.  Most important is to discuss it with a surgeon you have trust in and knows your situation well.  Talk to any other doctors who work with you, too, and see if they have any suggestions either way.  It's important that you believe you are making the best decision possible before going into it.  If you're not sure and need more time, take it.  There are also several people here who have had revisions and you might want to be in contact with them.  Wishing you the best in your decision. 

VSG on March 11, 2014. 60 yo female from Washington, DC area. 

HW: 235  SW: 230  CW: 134.5 (3/23)    M1:-19    M2: -13   M3: -10.4    M4: - 8.2   M5: -6.4    M6: -5    M7: -7.4    M8: -4    M9: -8.6    M10: -5    M11: -3.6    M12:  -1.5 Goal reached 3/23/15 in 1 year + 12 days following surgery.  BMI from 42.1 to 23.9 

Kate -True Brit
on 3/3/14 6:25 pm - UK

Be guided by your doctor! No surgery is perfect.

On here we have a lot of very disillusioned (understandably) and physically damaged ex-band people. On another very well known US surgery board, there is a board devoted to VSG complications. The revisions board on here often has lots of people with bypass wanting to revise.

A good friend of mine has the sleeve and immediately developed severe reactive hypoglycaemia. She is now over a year post-op and is made miserable by constant, painful hunger. And she has to live with this. But many sleeved people are very happy and successful. There are also many very successful and happy banded people, I know many in real life, including myself.

It is my view that the band is probably the hardest in terms of how you work with it. It must never be tight enough physically stop you eating so you need considerable will power, just less than pre-op. For me, it was exactly what I needed and at almost eight years post-op I have not a single regret. 

Read widely but take the advice of your doctor. If you don't trust them, you shouldn't be letting them operate on you!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 3/3/14 10:04 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I just learned something new. I honestly did not know that was possible with the sleeve. I am sure all the surgeries have complications, just like you said. I think I know what board you are talking of and I have not been to it in a while.

Kate -True Brit
on 3/4/14 12:23 am - UK

Bbarrigar, RH is not common with the sleeve but neither is it incredibly rare; at any rate according to my friend's doctor. A bit  like dumping- a small number of sleeved people get it.  But I do think the sleeve seems to be a good surgery! The majority of people seem to do well. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 3/4/14 1:57 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Yeah it works for me that is why I picked it. I have seen people do well with all of them though.

Most Active