Blood Thinners?

theamazingtif
on 3/8/14 12:35 pm - Rockwall, TX

How long after surgery were you on blood thinners?  

poet_kelly
on 3/8/14 12:53 pm - OH

Only while in the hospital, so one day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

civilmomma
on 3/8/14 4:20 pm
VSG on 03/07/14

only while in hospital so 2 days post op for me.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/8/14 10:12 pm - OH

My surgeon required them for 3 days.  I take blood thinners every day, though, so it was longer for me until my oral blood thinner could fully kick back in.  

Some surgeons, though, require it for 7-10 days.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

theamazingtif
on 3/9/14 2:57 pm - Rockwall, TX

Thanks for the replies!  I was feeling super weak and fatigued. I think it was the blood thinners

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/9/14 10:49 pm - OH

Blood thinners do not cause weakness and fatigue.  If you are newly post-op, or if you are on them pre-op (as some are) and doing a restrictive diet, THAT would be the reason for the symptoms rather than the blood thinners.

If neither of thane things apply, you should speak with a doctor about what might be causing it because I can almost a sure you that it is NOT the anticoagulents.

Lora

theamazingtif
on 3/10/14 12:43 am - Rockwall, TX

I found a lot of ppl online saying the Levonox had a similiar reaction for them. I'm about 2 weeks post op. I've also been running a fever for awhile. My surgeon isn't really worried about any of it. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/10/14 3:34 am, edited 3/10/14 3:35 am - OH

Most people, however, take Lovenox after surgery to prevent clotting.  I have taken blood thinners for YEARS, and know many others who have as well, and have never heard or read of them causing that reaction.  

Your surgeon is likely not worried because you are tired and weak from surgery and from very little nutrition... but please don't cause other people unnecessary concern by blaming it on the anticoagulent.

Lora

ladyhoman
on 3/10/14 1:43 am

I will be on Lovenox for 10 days post op. I have been on blood thinners a couple of times in my life before this and I can tell you barring surgery I always start feeling run down after I start them. Docs and others may say not so, but I deal with people daily on blood thinners and frequently and hear about their "feeling tired/run down" after starting them. Sometimes their is just to much empirical evidence to ignore. Best of luck to you!

SW: 219   HW:253  CW: 156  GOAL: 150  Goal: 5K  Eventual Goal with running:140

theamazingtif
on 3/10/14 2:43 am - Rockwall, TX

Thank you!  That's what I was feeling for sure. I decided to stop taking them a bit early and increase my activity level. I still get tired easy but I can tell I'm getting better. 

Most Active