Newbie looking for info

alwayshavehope
on 3/10/14 4:20 am - Canada

Hello everyone, I have been ready through some of the post here and was wondering if any of you fine people would given me some advise.  I am 42 yrs old and have been obesse forever.   I am tried every diet and most don't work for me, and the ones that did the weight usually came back.  I find it extremely hard to exercise because i am so overweight it hurts!  I am seriously considering surgery.  But I have no idea how to get this process started.  Do you just go to a family doctor?   Does anyone have any info on weight times in Newfoundland and can provide me with details of what the process involves?  any info would be greatly appreciated.  thanks in advance

kanekikitten
on 3/10/14 5:12 am

I don't know anything about Canadian health care, so it might be different for the way they treat obese patients.  I'll try and simplify my story as I began the weight loss process.  First, I talked to my primary physician about getting weight loss surgery.  I told her my health problems, she then put in an authorization to my insurance company requesting for surgery.  They approved.  I then went to a group session, (required) and found out everything there was to know about what we would go thru, and answered questions we might have.  Then, I saw my new Dr., she told me that there were many physical tests I'd have to go through.  If all goes well, and you abide by all the requirements they give you, (group meetings, losing 10% of your weight) the doctors want to know if you're really dedicated to weight loss, plus they tell you it's always best to lose as much as you can before surgery.  The more weight you have to lose, the harder it is for recovery.  Generally it takes 6 months from beginning to end before you have your surgery.  I was lucky to have mine done 6 months from when I applied.  Many times it could take up to a year for the surgery to happen.  I was just lucky all my tests found everything was healthy enough to have the surgery. 

As for me, I began at 235 lbs., and was 217 the day of my surgery.  I lost 18 lbs, (I was to lose 15 lbs.).  I'm one month post op and today I weigh 198 lbs.  I've lost 19 lbs.  I am so happy I decided to do the surgery, (my family was against it).  I didn't listen and did it for me.  It's the best thing I've ever done for myself.  I will never go back to the bad eating habits, and found I enjoy the new healthy lifestyle of eating right.  I still am not up to snuff about exercising as I get so weak and can't do much more than 20 min. of exercise a day.  I heard that gets better later on.............

My suggestion to you is go for it.  I wish you the best!  Good luck!

betony63
on 3/10/14 9:08 am

Hi there,

Therès a Newfoundland and Labrador forum on OH. From the Forums menu at the top of the page go to Go Local, then scroll down to Canada.

Good luck with your journey!

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

Most Active