Quick Question

Amy A.
on 3/14/14 7:13 am - The Colony, TX

I am coming up on two weeks until my surgery and a final payment of $2,300 is due by the 21st. I have been looking at gofundme.com for help. Has anyone ever done something like this? I thought I would give it a shot. I know it is kinda a reach but I don't think anything could hurt at this point. Please let me know! Thanks!

poet_kelly
on 3/14/14 9:17 am - OH

Since it's free to sign up on  Go Fund Me, you certainly try it.  I would be surprised if you made much, if any.  I did some fundraising for my service dog on Go Fund Me and did not raise much at all.  I had better luck posting on Facebook, starting a blog about my need for a service dog and fundraising through that, and hitting up all my friends and family members.  So it won't hurt but I would not expect strangers to donate much for what is generally seen as an elective surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Linda_S
on 3/14/14 11:03 am - Eugene, OR

My feeling on this is that surgery, other than for cancer or organ replacement, is not an appropriate use of such web sites.  I know some people do, but I know I wouldn't donate.  Things like saving someone's life, helping someone to keep from losing their home, etc.?  Yes, but an optional surgery?  No, I wouldn't do it.  Just my personal opinion, but there it is.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/14/14 11:16 am - OH

I guess it cannot hurt to RNY, but I agree with Linda.  We have had people hereask about using such sites to try to find their plastic surgery and I know that one person who did it didn't raise a dime.  

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would think that complete strangers would give them money to have weight loss surgery or to get plastic surgery for extra skin, especially when so many people believe that people who are obese are that way because they are lazy, weak, etc. (and that surgery is an "easy way out").

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amy A.
on 3/14/14 3:40 pm - The Colony, TX

Thank you all for your feedback! Once I read all of your posts it does seem selfish since I am electing to do this to myself. The good news is shortly after posting this I had a final financing option come through and I will be okay! Thanks again!

Most Active