Blood thinners

Poohkieboo
on 3/17/14 6:59 am

I'm just starting my journey to gather information on VSG surgery, and I've read a few posts where the patient was put on blood thinners and had to administer injections themselves when they went home. Is this typical for all VSG surgeries???

AnnyBananny
on 3/17/14 8:36 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

My program does use them but I know several of the other programs in Philly don't. I think it's not super common. 

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/17/14 10:34 am - OH

It is more surgeon preference than surgery type.  Patients who have a personal or family history of phlebitis or thrombosis are almost certainly going to have to do them regardless of what type of surgery they have, as are people who have open surgery (longer recuperation time and less mobile right after surgery).  

Some surgeons require them only for heavier patients because they are at a higher risk for clots.  It doesn't depend on surgery type, though, because the risk from the lack of movement as you recuperate is the same no matter what kind of surgery.

It really isn't a big deal, though.  The needle is very small and it just has to be injected into the fat in your stomach. If you pinch the skin (and fat!) together and put the needle in between, you won't even feel it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

TheDeathStar
on 3/17/14 11:54 am
VSG on 10/29/13

I don't know if it's typical, but I had to do it. However, it might be because of my size or some other factor that would increase my likelihood for blood clots. Either way, it was not a big deal at all. My husband watched me do it and thought it was pretty tough, but it was a tiny little needle. The worst part was looking at my poor, bruised up, stitched up stomach during that immediately post-op recovery period. The blood thinners made my bruise like crazy and I was pretty gruesome looking for a minute there. 

Most Active