making a will/living will

mmnishik
on 3/27/14 9:11 am

I know it's morbid and none of us want to actually think about it, but how many of you made a will or living will before your surgery. 

I am a single mother to two children, I feel like I need to set things up for them if something does happen to me. Make sure they don't end up in the system so to say. 

anyone have advice on how to do this?

Melissa

Single mom to 2 girls! Love them <3

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/27/14 10:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I didn't do a will, since I have no property or kids or anything, but I wrote down stuff about what I want for a memorial/cremation/etc. and put it in an email draft, stuck my password on the fridge, and told my husband it was there "just in case." Probably not legally binding, but better than nothing.

For a "quick" will, I've heard good things about legalzoom.com, you basically fill out your information and it puts one together for you, and it's $50 or so.

You can download paperwork for a living will online, it varies by state, and I think you can just provide a copy to the hospital.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cathy W.
on 3/27/14 11:01 am, edited 3/27/14 11:03 am

To have both a Will and a Living Will are important to have but especially to have your affairs documented before any surgery.

A "Will" is a Last Will and Testament.  Simply, it is a document that reflects the distribution of any assets you have. A Will would distribute your car to someone, the funds in your checking account to another person and your jewelry to someone else.  It is basically a map of what assets you have and who you want to receive them.  There are other things that a Will could include but essentially a directive of who gets what. 

Now, if you own a home or want to specify the guardianship of your children, a Trust would be advisable with a Pour Over Will.  A Trust is a more comprehensive document and the vehicle to specify the guardianship of your children and the guardianship of their estate (any assets you give to them). 

A Living Will is also known as a Health Care Directive.  It is a document that speaks for you when you can't.  If you are not able to make medical decisions for yourself at the time, it appoints someone that you designate to carry out your wishes that you've expressed to them and are stated in the document.  For example, you might not want to have your life extended by artificial means. 

You could check out www.legalzoom.com or call an estate planning attorney in your area. 

dalaimama
on 3/27/14 11:02 am

I don't have either one, but we do living wills with patients at work. The living will/advance directive is really just letting your providers know what treatments you want in the event you can't give that consent. The will is the one that will name guardians for your kids and such. I really should do that one, I know, especially since I have a special needs kiddo. Probably an attorney or at the very least a legal document program/software would be the most helpful to make sure it covers all the bases.

We could never agree on a guardian..and I guess knowing my ex is still an involved dad makes me rest easier when I start worrying about something happening to me. I do have life insurance, I feel strongly about that! :)

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 3/27/14 11:19 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

You bet I did.  A big part of my job is mitigating risk, so I was all over this.  I had living wills, power of attorney, funeral suggestions, and three different people on standbay in case I kicked during surgery.  It was so well planned I was a little disappointed when the surgery went perfectly.

All jokes aside, I would always recommend having your house in order.  Morbid or not, knowing the family will be as ok without me as with me makes me feel better.  If I were to pass, I'd rather they only have to worry about mourning, not figuring out where the next meal will come from.

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 3/27/14 11:21 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

OH!  And any hospital will be happy to give you the forms, and their ombudsman office will be able to help you get them filled out for free.  You can also do a lawyer or any og the suggestions above.  Just make sure it's signed, it's clear, and it's witnessed.  

Then send three copies to everyone you ever met, and hand it to every medical professional you find. 

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

AnnyBananny
on 3/27/14 12:19 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Not having property or children, I chose only to execute an Advanced Health Care Directive and Medical Power of Attorney before surgery. Depending on which state you're in, this could be a statutory form that doesn't even require notary, just a witness or two.

But especially because you have children, seeing a lawyer and creating your will and documenting your wishes for their guardianship seems to be very important. Again, depending on where you live, I'm sure costs vary wildly for doing this with a lawyer, but really it is the best way. My sister recently had these documents created in the Philadelphia area for around $450. My parents', who live in a more rural part of the state did theirs recently for about $300.

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

poet_kelly
on 3/27/14 1:11 pm - OH

I made one many years before my surgery.  Let's see, I had surgery when I was 37, I've had a will, living will, power of attorney, etc. since I was about 25.  I think those are things all adults should have, especially those with kids.  If you haven't done it yet, but all means, do so.  What if you get hit by a bus tomorrow?

You can find forms online and do them yourself and just get them notarized.  At least, in most states you can do that.  But a lawyer should also be able to do them for you for a few hundred dollars.

I don't think it's morbid at all.  I think it's just being responsible.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Gwen M.
on 3/27/14 1:30 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I didn't do one for surgery specifically, since I had gone through the process about 2 years prior.  

I recommend finding a local lawyer and scheduling an appointment.  It's pretty easy, just takes a bit of time.  And it's SUPER IMPORTANT and good for you for thinking about this.  Seriously.  I applaud you.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/27/14 1:31 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Depends on what state you live in.

Before surgery, I updated my will, created an Advanced Directive and a Medical Power of Attorney. 

Since you have children,  it's very important that you have something in writing to stipulate your wishes should something happen.  You should have this even if you weren't preparing to have surgery. 

Google "estate planning" and the state you live in.  Many forms are available free online.   There's always LegalZoom if you can't find something free.

Worst case, find an attorney to draw up the documents for you.  If you're in California I can send them to you, but the laws vary from state to state.  Good luck.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active