Huge weight gain

Christy M.
on 4/20/14 10:32 am - Rogers City, MI

I am approximately 9 years post open RNY  have gained a huge amount of my weight back. At surgery I was my highest at 307 lbs.  I got down past 170.  I was one of the ones who thought this was the fix and would never have to worry again.

i now am up to 248 lbs, need back surgery and both knees replaced but can't have surgery until I lose at least 75 lbs

I want and need to get back on track but do not know how to start. I moved to a small town in Northern Michigan and the only thing I can find to help is weigh****chers. Would that be a good option?  I'm very frustrated and ashamed. 

Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated.

thank you, Chrisyu

Christy

poet_kelly
on 4/20/14 11:05 am - OH

Start by talking to your doctor and consulting a registered dietician with RNY experience.  Attending a WLS support group would probably be helpful, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/14 12:37 pm - OH

My best suggestion, which I know works, is to go back to basics, eating the way you were eating 6 months after your surgery: protein forward, limited carbs, small (measured, if necessary) portions, and lots of water (just none with, or right after, meals).  

It might also help to track what you are eating, because the further out we get, the easier it gets to let the portion sizes creep up and to allow too many carbs (mostly from processed foods) back into our diets.  BTDT.

Weigh****chers might be helpful (support and a certain measure of accountability), but be sure that you are making high protein and low carb food choices.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kimberly C.
on 4/20/14 12:39 pm - Dearborn Heights, MI

I'm facing the same issue!  I know what to tell other people, but couldn't seem to do it myself!  I recently started taking Skinny Fiber and has helped me kick the snacking habit!  The dreaded grazing!

Kim

Skinny Fiber is helping me get back on track!  It has stopped my cravings to snack and is helping me to burn off the fat. Now I am back to protien and water!   http://Kim061865.SBCSpecial.com/  Join me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/kimberly.byrumcole

Ladytazz
on 4/20/14 12:46 pm

The first thing I would do is see if you can see a bariatric surgeon to make sure everything is intact, your pouch is small and your stoma isn't enlarged.  Once you confirm that everything is intact then you can go back to basics, protein first, lots of fluids and avoid refined, processed foods.  Not easy but it's worth it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Eggface
on 4/20/14 12:48 pm, edited 4/20/14 12:48 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Go to your Dr and talk to him about getting a plan in place to get you losing those 75. They have heard everything and do understand that fighting obesity is a lifelong war... surgery as you know is just one battle. Your Dr. can update your labs and perhaps check to see if their has been a mechanical failure of your surgery before starting any program. I'd make the appointment and while you're waiting track your food/drink and exercise on an App or online tracking site (free fitday, sparkpeople, my fitness pal, etc.) and bring that info with you so your Dr can see if adjustments need to be made there.

Best to you!

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

MyLady Heidi
on 4/21/14 6:21 am

Off to weigh****chers with you.  It sounds like your only viable option at this point.  You are going on a diet, you need to learn everything you didn't learn in the last 9 years about nutrition and how to feed your body without overeating.  It can be done but you need to be ready to embrace some big eating changes to make it all work.  I live on 1000 calories 5 days a week and 1500 calories on the weekends to maintain my weight at 130lbs at 9 years out.  It does involve lots of self discipline and it all has to come from within you.

Good Luck!

Phenomenalwoman6

on 4/21/14 2:26 pm - chicago, IL

How's your eating habits?  Have you been exercising. I had the Vertical Sleeve one year ago and need to focus more myself. I only lost 60pds. Extremely disappointed in myself.

Lori W.
on 4/22/14 2:01 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

WW doesn't emphasize that protein is #1 and to read labels instead of tracking points. Those are the 2 most important items to be applied for WLS results that I got from my NUT appt. I've done WW 4-5 times, including at the start of this journey. But if the meetings help it's a start. Good luck!

spkz007
on 4/22/14 9:03 am - Bay City, MI
RNY on 04/10/14

Go back to only eating a cup of food. Make good food choices. Get rid of stuff in your house that will tempt you. Buy good food. Watch the carbs and drink lots of water. Most of all get out there and start walking. Get yourself a pedometer so you can see your progress. I live in Michigan myself. Keep us informed of your progress and good luck.

Most Active