What's my first step to apply for skin removal surgery.

Mydognamedlipstick
on 5/3/14 11:07 pm - Shepherdsville, KY

I need to know the steps to get my plastic surgery done. Is there a form letter I can wrote like the letter on this site for those wanting insurance approval for bypass! Please help! I need my thighs, my stomach from my breasts to my belly button because years ago my hanging fat was removed and I just don't remember how I got approved! 

Hislady
on 5/4/14 4:03 am - Vancouver, WA

As far as I know there is no form for that. What you would need to do is contact your insurance and see if they cover plastic surgery or reconstructive surgery. Now they as a rule only cover a panni removal like you had before not a tummy tuck or things that just improve your looks. A few have managed to get their insurance to cover plastics maybe by calling it reconstructive but most don't do just "prettying up" surgery. So start by finding out from your insurance just what your coverage is. Good luck to you!

Mary Gee
on 5/4/14 5:26 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Usually, insurance only covers it if it's medically necessary.  If you have rashes, etc. under your breasts or stomach, and you've seen your doctor about it, have used medications, etc. and it won't clear up - then it may be considered medically necessary.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Cunning_Pam
on 5/4/14 5:28 am
RNY on 12/18/13

You definitely need to talk to your insurance company. Be aware that as has been said here, unless it's considered medically necessary, most insurance companies do not cover plastic surgery. At best I think all you'll be able to get may be the panniculectomy.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Valerie G.
on 5/4/14 8:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Start with your insuance  company.  Check their website or call them to find out (a) if it's covered and (b) what they need to approve it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/4/14 11:38 am, edited 5/4/14 11:38 am - OH

Yes, the very first step is to call your insurance company to find out what, if anything, they cover.  

Most insurance plans only cover a panniculectomy (removal of the skin below the belly button because of rashes) if they cover anything, and it sounds like you already had that done.  It is very rare for insurance to cover a thigh lift or a full tummy tuck, so you should be prepared for them to tell you they won't cover any of those cosmetic items.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active