Gastric By Pass, 9 years out...many thoughts/questions...

shaunconnors
on 5/18/14 1:36 pm - Millville, NJ

May 25, 2005 I weighed 374 pounds.  Throught the two years that followed I got down to 162 pounds.  Became very active...gym, running, bike riding.  Started having extreme issues with my legs about three years ago, making even walking difficult most days.  Needless to say I started gaining weight, unable to exercise very much, eventually leading back to poor eating habits.  I am currently 260 pounds still down 114 pounds from where I started...but, I am seriouslly considering a revision....any thoughts???

Cunning_Pam
on 5/18/14 2:14 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

If being inactive and making poor food choices are what made you regain, how would a revision help you? You still have your pouch, and while you don't have the malabsorption anymore, you can still go back to eating like you learned how to right after your surgery. Stop eating white carbs, eat protein first, veggies if you have room. Measure and weight your food and track your intake. Exercise if and when you can, but remember that you can't outrun your diet.

You did it once, you can do it again.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

shoutjoy
on 5/18/14 8:30 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hello,

My first thought is have you seen a doctor about your leg issues? 

Secondly, you may need the support of a nutritionist or a life coach.  Falling back on bad habits is so easy when things get tough.  Sometimes we can't overcome them alone.  For now, I have a few ideas for you.  When deciding on a meal, stop and think.  Is this healthy.  Is this too high in calories? Is the portion appropriate?  I use smaller plates for my meals.  This helps with portion control.  When going out, if the restaurant has a menu on line, pick out what you will eat before you get there.  Let your server know immediately what you want.  Don't give yourself a chance to change your mind.  If you have problems knowing when to stop, get your meal in a "to go box".  Ask for a small salad plate. Fork out or portion onto that plate and put the leftovers in a bag under your chair.  Just don't forget it's there lol.  There are all kinds of tools you can try. 

About a revision, well, would making healthy choices be just as affective?  Even if you got a revision, you still need to learn healthy habits.  I don't know if this helps much but I hope you can find someone who can guide you back on track.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

White Dove
on 5/18/14 9:17 pm - Warren, OH

I have a Kindle Fire and download books, then use the professional narration feature to have the book read to me.  I mention this because I think it makes reading so much easier.

I want to recommend a book to you.  It is "Potatoes Not Prozac" by Dr. Kathleen DesMaisons.

Her program has seven steps.  It will free you from addiction to food.  She explains why you eat what you do and why you gain weight. 

I hope you will take my advice on this book and then come back here with your success story.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TexasTerritory
on 5/19/14 7:15 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I have read this book. It is very helpful.

MyLady Heidi
on 5/19/14 2:40 am

I will not suggest that you should diet your way back because obviously if dieting were so freaking easy you wouldn't have needed wls in the first place.  I hate when someone without experience gives advice about long term maintenance.  You should see your doctor and see if a revision could help get you back to where you want to be.  You know the drill once you get there, and now with much limited mobility less calories etc.  Good Luck!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/20/14 11:39 am - OH

(S)he knows the "drill" now.  Why have a revision BEFORE re-implementing it (especially when re-implementing it might mean not needing a revision and continuing poor eating habits might mean not being successful even with a revision)??

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MsBatt
on 5/19/14 7:26 am

Look inot revising your RNY to a DS. This will make a dramatic, permanent change in the way your body metabolizes food.

The poor eating habits you'll have to address on your own, but 'poor eating habits' with the DS are far different than 'poor eating habits' with the RNY.

Karamay
on 5/19/14 9:17 pm - NJ
DS on 12/18/12

I work in Millville, NJ and had the DS.  If you ever want to talk or meet up...just PM me.  I had my surgery about 18 months ago & could give you some good information if you are interested in a RNY to DS revision surgery.

DS (Lap) on 12/18/12 w/ Dr. Onopchenko, HW- 242, SW- 231, GW- 130  Height - 5'3"

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/20/14 5:49 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

As I am only five months out, I couldn't possibly offer any credible advice on revision surgery.  Unfortunately, some of us recent post-ops think we have all the answers.  Big mistake on our part.

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues with your legs.  It must be incredibly painful and you have my sympathies.

Have you thought about calling the surgeon who performed your first WLS for a consult?  I think that might be the best place to start.  Whatever you decide, I hope you feel better and that the weight comes off again.  Good luck to you.   

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active