Somethings up with me and protein powder

mama_dee54
on 5/21/14 10:11 pm

I started to drink one protein shake a day before my liquid diet diet begins and to test new powders out.  I have noticed that I get a headache right after drinking it and it only last about 5 minutes. What is up with that? Anybody else getting this ?

Gwen M.
on 5/21/14 10:13 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Could it be the sweetener?  I know people who get headaches from aspartame. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mama_dee54
on 5/21/14 10:16 pm, edited 5/21/14 10:23 pm

hummm maybe.  I sure don't want a headache after surgery when we got to drink it only and all day long! It is sucralose in mine. That is in sf jello  and sf everything ! What am I gonna do?

Gwen M.
on 5/21/14 10:32 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Look for more natural shakes to try and see if there is a difference. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

poet_kelly
on 5/21/14 11:02 pm - OH

Try making a shake with unflavored protein powder, which is probably unsweetened as well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mama_dee54
on 5/21/14 11:40 pm

I found by searching that JAY ROB brand has all natural stuff and comes in some good flavors. Guess I will have to buy that kind.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/22/14 2:48 am

Try About Time whey...

you can buy samples from them.  I used to like them a lot - but I found out I have whey allergy so I can't anymore. the short headache can be also from drinking too cold drinks? 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mama_dee54
on 5/22/14 3:47 am

What do you use then? Did you get a headache with a whey allergy ? I can eat the yogurt that has the same sweetener and other things. The drink was not too cold. Hope it is not an allergy 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/22/14 4:26 am

Allergy can present itself in so many ways... 

I am  6 years our RNY so I eat food..   meat and veggies... fish and veggies... eggs and veggies.. and so on... 

We can develop allergies as times go.. MIne allergy to why probably got worse over last 3 years... but only this year I was force to get tested..(the symptoms got bad) ... 

Don't worry for now for allergies.. . if you want - get tested - but what is OK today - it may not be after RNY , or year later , and so on. 

Stuff happens.. Who knows - maybe I had that long before RNY ? (yea.. not likely) maybe using too much - too many whey proteins caused the problem ?( most likely)  

I manage. It is not easy... specially when you add severe allergy to soy.. and gluten intolerance.. plus RH (reactive hypoglycemia) ... but it is not the end of the world.  There are things I cna eat (and gain weight on) ..so you can say I am not starving.. right? 

The hard part is when I now need to lose 10 lbs and limit what and how much I eat... 

I would suggest you try unflavored whey isolate protein with water - and add some natural sweeteners at first and see if you get reaction.  You may get reaction to sweeteners - or artificial  flavors, or colors, or ??? .. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

56sunShine14
on 5/22/14 5:02 am

Sucralose and aspartame cause headaches and severe indigestion for me.  I agree, try to find one more natural.  I use a powder that has sugar and know that it isn't ideal for weight loss but it works for me.  And I use a banana and 1/2% milk

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Most Active