Nutrion Question

A_new_beginning
on 5/24/14 6:11 am, edited 5/24/14 6:27 am - MD
RNY on 08/29/13

Does anyone know how many calories per day we should be consuming?  What about total fat grams?  And daily sugar grams?  I'm 9 months out after having RNY surgery.  My appetite has just picked up all of a sudden and I feel like I'm not getting enough food.  My protein count averages around 95-100 grams per day without a problem, but I'm wondering if I'm not getting enough fat and carbs.  Any advice is appreciated.

Surgery date: August 29th, 2013

HW: 247 lbs. Height: 5' 2"

LW: 123 lbs!

A_new_beginning
on 5/24/14 6:27 am - MD
RNY on 08/29/13
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/24/14 6:39 am - OH

My surgeon didn't give us any maximum counts for anything except protein.  She gave us a boatload of info on healthy food choices versus unhealthy ones: avoid anything deep fried and "white" carbs -- white or whole wheat (as opposed to whole grain) flour, processed sugars, pasta, rice, crackers, etc.;  limited amounts of starchy veggies like potatoes, lima beans, and corn; limited high sugar fruit like pineapple, watermelon, and papaya.

She said if we made good choices based on her info, and got in the required protein, the fats and carbs would "take care of themselves".  In my experience she was right.  What gets me in trouble is too may white flour or processed sugar products (which are things she TOLD us to avoid).

What I like about her approach is that it isn't like being on a perpetual diet where you are constantly counting calories,carbs, and fats.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

A_new_beginning
on 5/24/14 7:15 am - MD
RNY on 08/29/13

Thanks, Lora!  That makes good sense.  I do avoid fried foods except for on the odd occasion where I'll allow myself a limited amount just enough to satisfy my taste-cravings (eg. when I'm invited to a barbecue or a party).   I love popcorn, though.  I've been eating 4 cups of Skinny Pop popcorn once a day as a snack -- it's filling and satisfying, but I noticed that there are 10 grams of fat in those 4 cups.  That seems high to me.  When I did Weigh****chers ages ago, we were told to avoid foods with a fat content of 3.5 or more.  Anyway, I just wondered if anyone's nutritionist said anything about this.  I just may have to bite the bullet and visit my nutritionist.

Surgery date: August 29th, 2013

HW: 247 lbs. Height: 5' 2"

LW: 123 lbs!

hanneyalexa
on 5/25/14 3:38 am

I think you should ask your doctor about this. But I recommend you not to eat oily foods or fried foods or of you are craving for this just eat a small amount, just to satisfy your cravings. It is not healthy and not good for our body. Avoid taking too much carbs like pasta and grains. Eat healthy foods like veggies and fruits daily.

Most Active