Fainting

Mommy1558
on 5/25/14 3:41 am

Yesterday was beautiful here. We decided to go to the flea market.  It was about 88 degrees outside.  I noticed that I was sweating quite a bit after two hours of shopping around.  We stopped for a bottle of water about 1:00.  I was feeling a little fatigued but not bad.  Rehydrated and moved on to another area of the flea market.  I felt weak but didn't want to slow my husband and kids down.  I decided to sit down on a bench for a bit as they browsed the next section.  I felt funny and began to realize that I needed to get out of the sun.  I texted my husband telling him that I needed to go home. Then, I walked across the roadway to the open air shelter.  I realized I was in trouble and reached out for a support beam to hold me up as I sat down.  Nothing.  I remember absolutely nothing after that until the First Responders were hovering over me.  I could hear them but not see them at first.  Then I was able to open my eyes.  The EMTs were summoned. I was unclear and had a hard time articulating who I was or other basic things for a few minutes. My husband and children walked upon me lying on the ground with medical personal working on me.  I had a  knot on my head from the concrete.  My blood pressure was very low.  They determined that I wasn't bleeding and my neck was fine. So, I sat up...then lights out again.

Trip to the ER. I had three bags of fluids along with two bags of potassium and magnesium...(you definitely want to avoid iv potassium...BURNS LIKE FIRE THE ENTIRE TIME IT RUNS IN!!!!) I will be two months post-op on May 27.  I am taking my vitamins and eating.  The  hydration is still my issue, but I usually get about 50 or so ounces of water per day.  I don't understand why my potassium was so low. I try to eat green stuff daily. 

Today, I am sore and my head hurts but I am not as fatigued as I have been in since the surgery.  I wonder if I have been low on potassium this entire time.  The fatigue has played a role in my lack of desire to exercise.  I hope I found the reason behind my fatigue.

Anyone else experience this?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/25/14 5:13 am - OH

I have not experienced that, but just wanted to say that even though you say you eat some type of greens daily, you are only eating a small amount so it probably doesn't offer much on the way of vitamins.  

Does your multivitamin include potassium?  Some don't have any, and some that do include it have just a very small amount of what you need.  You might consider a magnesium and potassium supplement.  I take it once a week in the summer because of sweating.

i hope you start feeling better soon (and am glad you didn't do more damage when you fainted!)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/25/14 5:14 am

A few times.  Learn quickly to maker sure I get enough water ...and sodium and minerals. 

I had and still do add salt to my protein shakes.  I use salt on my food.. We don't eat a lot and there changes and not enough minerals may create what you experienced. 

Glad you are OK

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

56sunShine14
on 5/25/14 12:11 pm

You have good post answers but I would like to also say your symptoms could have revealed much uglier cir****tances.  However, I also feel you were very dehydrated. Didn't the ER doc tell you what the cause was?

I am not one to salt my food but having been told once by my PCP to get more salt, I do try too pay attention to it.  @****ro Girl, I did not realize magnesium would help with this.  Thanks for the heads up. 

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Grim_Traveller
on 5/25/14 2:49 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

A lot of us get orthostatic hypotension, which is your blood pressure dropping when you stand up. You can check your BP sitting or lying down, then immediately after standing. If it drops, then recovers after 20 seconds or so, you have it too.

The best thing you can do is drink more. 50 ounces is not nearly enough. More electrolytes helps, and sports drinks like Powerade Zero are good. I was told to also use extra salt on food, and not to do low sodium anything. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active