I am new

LISAFREE
on 6/4/14 7:33 am

I am new to this website and to this journey.  I am afraid to hope this could be a start to a new life.  The first time I mentioned weight loss surgery to a friend she reacted against it.  No one knows how I feel and how living this way affects me emotionally and I don't know if there's any way that would make them understand. I know that I am so tired of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.  It's like banging my head against a wall and expecting it not to hurt when I have a concussion.  I want to be able to move.  I actually watch people and wonder how they feel being able to move quickly and freely. Do they even appreciate that?  I long to wear clothes that aren't "frumpy", wear a belt with a tucked in shirt.  Jewelry,  I make it and some of it is bold. Wear it? No, not now, not with frumpy clothes. I want to ride a bike and try jogging.  I want the breeze to blow through my hair as I run.  I think I have paid my dues. I think it's time to live life regardless of what other people think.  I am just under the border of being BMI eligible and I don't have any qualifying comorbid conditions. That worries me, thus my fear of hoping for this new start.  I am approximately 90 pounds overweight. Any suggestions? I am scheduled to attend the WLS seminar on 7/9/14.

Lisa

Gwen M.
on 6/4/14 7:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome to the forums!  

Have you had everything checked?  Sleep study for possible apnea?  Blood work?  Joint x-rays for arthritis?  Etc?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

LISAFREE
on 6/4/14 6:19 pm

Hi GwenMo: I haven't had everything checked. I know that I don't have sleep apnea. Blood work needs to be done.  Will be scheduling bone density test.  I know that I have high cholesterol and there is a cardiac history.  I have ventricular tachycardia and will have to get cardiologist to sign off on surgery. I have spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease. Can't think of anything else.  Can you?

Lisa

Gwen M.
on 6/6/14 5:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I can't think of anything else either!  Maybe a psych eval?  If you've got depression that's a result of obesity that could help?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MsBatt
on 6/8/14 1:08 am

Have you researched a form of WLS called the Duodenal Switch? It's the go-to surgery for treating high cholesterol. Most DSers eat a ton of fat and still have total cholesterol numbers around 100.

LISAFREE
on 6/8/14 7:36 am

Msbatt, no I havent dine redearc on DS other than the very basic info. Does it have the same possible late effects as the gastrc bypass that is rhe malabsorption of vitamins? I"lok into it further. Thanks. Lisa

Lang4rd2
on 6/5/14 2:17 pm

Lisa

You know yourself better than anyone. I experience negative comment too. I found when I visits my surgeon office some very happy post op patients. Once I made my mind up I only told those in my household and dared them to tell anyone. They were excellent supports. Pounds later I'm very happy

Steph

LISAFREE
on 6/7/14 11:19 am

Thanks Steph- I spent some time with my friend today *****acted negatively. When I asked her if she knows what it feels like to lose 20 pounds and you can't even tell by looking at me, she couldn't identify with that.  She doesn't think the surgery is "necessary" because I don't have the comorbid diagnoses.  The good news is that I told my husband that if I can get it approved, I am going ahead with it.  He is totally behind me, stating how much he has seen me struggle with it.  So, my decision is made.  I just have to get it approved.  Lisa

Lang4rd2
on 6/7/14 11:32 am

Lisa

I am proud of you for making your decision. You will love yourself and your confidence with take off like a rocket. Eat light very light around all family and friend other than those who support you. Tell them you're also working out so when the weight starts to drop after surgery they will not know. You can trick the minds of others you're not lying you are just telling half of the truth.  You have to do you. Stay away from negative people!!!

Steph

Most Active