Increase of nightly hot flashes

luludoll
on 6/8/14 9:45 am

I am 53 and had gastric bypass surgery on June 3, 2014. I had occasional night sweats before surgery but after surgery I have had terrible night sweats every night. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

56sunShine14
on 6/8/14 11:39 am

I have not had bypass but do understand night sweats!  UUGGHHHHH!

Since having surgery messes with your hormones, my guess would be that is the culprit.  A woman last Christmas told me to try Estroven.  She swore by it, said after only a week or so her night sweats were gone for good!  So, I bought some and took them for a couple of weeks.  No mind you, I currently have the lap band and these are capsules so I have to open the capsule and take it raw!  YUCK - taste like ashes!  But if you can take capsules, you won't mind.  Anyway, my night sweats stopped!  but because I couldn't stand the taste and she had told me she never had them again, I stopped taking them.  After a few nights the sweats came back.

It's worth a try but PLEASE check with your surgeon first!!

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Gwen M.
on 6/8/14 12:19 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I had VSG, but for the first few weeks after surgery my temperature was all over the place!  I was super hot, super cold, sometimes switching between the two in the course of an hour.  It sucked.  Hopefully it'll even out for you!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 6/9/14 1:22 am - Warren, OH

Go to a health food store and buy natural progesterone cream.  Put some on your forearm every night.  The sweats will be gone in a few days.  Progesterone negates the effects of the estrogen dominance that is being triggered by weight loss.

It also accelerates weight loss, improves your mood, eliminates cramping and headaches, reduces water weight and stops swollen breasts.  If you are still having periods you will want to go off the progesterone for a week each month to allow the period to happen.  Otherwise you can just use it daily.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

56sunShine14
on 6/9/14 1:31 am

good advice.  I can go for that.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

MsBatt
on 6/9/14 9:58 am

Well, that was just 6 days ago. Your body's still trying to recover from major surgery, de-tox from anesthesia, and is reeling from a hormone dump. Give it some time. Any chance you're starting menopause?

luludoll
on 6/9/14 11:56 am

Thanks everyone!  Yes I am pretty close to being fully menopausal.  Almost one w/o period.  I didn't know that surgery messes your hormones so much...my emotions have been all over the place as well. Oddly enough, I didn't have night sweats last night.

I am thinking I may look into the progesterone cream.  Any particular brands that anyone can recommend?

kisersassy
on 6/16/14 12:30 pm - Stanaford, WV
RNY on 10/29/12

ok so I am not a doctor or anything but i had a hysterectomy last year that put me into surgical menopause. My GYN told me to take benadryl nightly and it would stop the hot flashes plus the insomnia  that comes with  it too.  IT WORKS!! but ask your doctor first and make sure it doesnt interfere with any meds currently taking. or illness you may have.

Most Active