Why don't these people like me?

TheNewT
on 7/21/14 11:30 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

Yesterday I had to sit beside my son's birthday cake before I dropped it off at school. Additionally, someone filled up 2 candy bowls full of chocolate and another baked a cake. TODAY... another person brought in a cake. Really!!! I'm sensing a conspiracy.

But it brings up a question I have been wrestling with. What food should I allow in my house? I am at work 40 hours a week. I have to look at the goodies people bring in and smell lunch. I can't tell them NOT to bring it b/c I am having VSG. I shouldn't dictate to the hubby either, right? He is not having surgery and although I know he will eat better, it will not be on my level. Am I just being a witch if I tell him no soda and sweets in the house?

Valerie G.
on 7/21/14 11:35 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

In your own home it's a reasonable request (within reason).  Why not save the bad stuff for special occasions and going out?  One thing important, though -- make your wishes known and dont expect hubby to "know" that you don't want it in the house, then complain about him later for not reading your mind.  I see too many people complaining about how insensitive their spouses are but never really verbalized their wishes in the first place.  Give him a chance to succeed, yanno?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sarahlicious
on 7/22/14 2:57 am - Portsmouth, OH

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Bette B.
on 7/22/14 12:28 am

In your home, you can make all requests you like, but you can't expect anyone else to like them.

MY thoughts (10+ years out) is that we live in a world full of food - it's everywhere - and we have to make day-to-day and minute-to-minute decisions on what to, or not to, eat. When I go into my doctor's office, there is always a candy dish there. I have to make the decision whether or not to have a pice. Usually, I don't. If I have a case of cotton mouth, I'll have a Jolly Rancher.

PS: did you mean that THREE cakes were baked for your son's birthday? If that's the case, drop two of them off at a homeless shelter, if there is one near you. They would LOVE it.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

TheNewT
on 7/22/14 12:36 am
VSG on 08/04/14

Only 1 cake for his birthday.  Since I couldn't cut it and had to leave it at his school, I was OK. The other 2 cakes are here for folks to eat at work. It is terrible to get off the elevator at 8 in the morning and the FIRST thing you see is a cake box.

Tracy D.
on 7/22/14 1:19 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Oh man - I work at one of these places too!  I started here in December and at first I just chalked it up to the holidays, etc.  But nooooooo, this place does crazy food things all the time.  It has made it really, really hard to stay away from sugar.  Most days I would say I fail miserably :-(  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kate -True Brit
on 7/22/14 2:27 am - UK

Candy in the doctors' office? Wow! Not a good example to anyone, obese, thin, young, old! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Bette B.
on 7/22/14 10:47 am

Individually wrapped hard candies, at the OB/Gyn.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Gwen M.
on 7/22/14 5:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I don't really think I have the right to tell adults what they can/can't eat and what they can/can't have in their own home.  That's -my- damage to fix and I don't think it should impact them.  

That said, I do the grocery shopping for the house, so I'm not going to buy things I can't eat unless I'm specifically asked to.  And, of course, my partners love me so they try not to be ******** :P  I have found that I really don't have an issue with them bringing food into the house, though, and I've even made pasta and rice for them to go with meals with no issues.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active