4 days post-op vsg, no discomfort

vsgRob
on 8/9/14 2:39 pm
VSG on 08/06/14

Had my vsg 4 days ago.  I was expecting more discomfort when I drank liquids.  I feel like I am able to get down a lot more than I should.  Has anyone else experienced that?

SlimJohn
on 8/9/14 3:10 pm

Hi Rob,

Yes, I'm a week out and when I want, I can down a lot of the protein shakes. I eventually hit a point when I don't want to drink any more, but I'm not sure if this is what being "full" means after VSG. Perhaps "full"ness with solid food will feel different. Will find out soon enough.

redhatnation
on 8/9/14 10:30 pm
VSG on 07/29/14 with

It's hard to say.  What is a "lot more?"  I know I can't guzzle Gatorade like I did pre-op.  Now, it's about 1-2 ounces every fifteen minutes.  If I exceed that rate, I get a feeling in my stomach that says "enough."

Your mileage will vary, of course.  Your stomach pouch might be bigger allowing you to consume more liquid at one time.  The key, I suspect, is developing and recognizing your own "fullness" feeling.  Once you feel it, put down the glass/bottle.

LilyoftheValley07-30
on 8/10/14 1:00 am

I had my VSG 11 days ago and I feel the same way.  I drink it slowly but I never have any discomfort. I wondered if this was normal.

TheNewT
on 8/10/14 1:08 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I had my surgery Monday. Thursday Friday and Saturday were not good for drinking. Every swallow hurt but felt better when I burped. I actually had to walk while I drank liquids. Today is much better. I may be able to get in my minimum amounts of protein and water for the first time! 

Gwen M.
on 8/10/14 1:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I never had any issues with liquids.  Real restriction didn't start to kick in for me until I was on solid foods.  This is normal for a lot of people, so nothing to worry about. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jille_bean
on 8/10/14 1:25 pm

Hey Rob, 

I had rny about 13 days ago and I didn't seem to have any problems getting liquids down easier.  I guess I'm lucky... I've been drinking a lot of water, in little sips, and it's definitely helped a lot.  I was concerned that I would get dehydrated, which doesn't seem to be happening because I have my little mug 'o water with me wherever I go.  I'm glad to hear that everything has gone well with your surgery, as it sounds like lots of folks haven't had such a good row. 

Jill

vsgRob
on 8/12/14 2:00 pm
VSG on 08/06/14

Thanks for all the replies guys!  My question was definitely answered.  Hopefully once I start on solids in 2 weeks I will get the restriction I was expecting.  

Most Active