Cheated on clear liquid diet

Cook326
on 8/10/14 9:39 am
with

Hi.... I ate 12 crackers and I have surgery in 4 days. Will this stop me from having surgery?

basilmk
on 8/10/14 2:40 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

You will need to ask your surgeon.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Amy R.
on 8/10/14 3:49 pm

probably it won't stop the surgery.  from a purely physical standpoint there's no reason it should (if you had eaten the night before surgery I'd have a very different answer).  some surgeons don't require any pre-op diet; only prohibiting food the 24 hours prior to surgery and such.

be on the safe side and call your surgeon. 

the bigger issue though is why you felt the need to ignore instructions.  especially early out post op it will be imperative to follow instructions to the letter.  bad, bad things can happen if you don't.  so you really need to figure out if you're ready to have the surgery when you can't follow a couple of days of a clear liquid diet.

it's great that you're 'fessing up.  use the opportunity to resolve any lingering issues and then move on.  best of luck to you in your journey.

amy

poet_kelly
on 8/11/14 1:10 am - OH

Probably not but you'll need to ask your surgeon to be sure.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kate -True Brit
on 8/11/14 2:27 am - UK

I echo Amy, probably not, ask your surgeon. But there are going to be some very difficult times ahead and if you are already not following firm, medical instructions, how are you going to handle post-op? 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MsBatt
on 8/11/14 9:23 am

Eating the crackers will in no way keep you from having surgery. If your surgeon is a total asshole, TELLING him you ate the crackers *might* keep you from having surgery. (*grin*)

There is ZERO virtue in an all-liquid diet. None. IMNOHO, surgeons *****quire a lengthy liquid diet are fatty-haters on a power trip---and you can tell your surgeon I said so.

A GOOD pre-op 'diet' is a high-protein, low-carb, moderate-calorie meal plan. You need to store as much protein as possible, because you're going to need it for post-op healing. Going low-carb helps deplete the glycogen stores in the liver---and just FYI, it takes MONTHS to actually decrease the size of the liver!---making it less slippery and easier to manipulate. Having this high protein and low carbs come from liquids doesn't make a good g*d-damn of difference. Eat real food and stay sane.

DelilahJO
on 8/11/14 9:28 am

IMO you should be fine. Although you should follow dr instructions please don't berate yourself for one slip up. Obviously people having these types of surgeries have become somewhat not in control of themselves when it comes to food. So don't let all the holier than thou people on the forum chastise you. People can say what they want and no I'm not saying at all that everyone cheats but I'm quite certain the dr who perform these surgeries are not dumb and know that a portion of their patients may cheat. And probably plan for that when they give their preop instructions. So I agree that unless it is day before it shouldn't be affected. Move on and do your best to follow all instructions here on out :) you will be so glad once your surgery is performed. And guess what even after surgery people make mistakes!! Just try your best and all will go as planned. 

Most Active