Trying to do this alone.

magoo1017
on 9/3/14 6:27 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I am 8 days post op today. I recently had the sleeve and everything has been going mostly okay. I've felt very alone with only a couple friends to reach out to. Finding this site was amazing for me. Anyway, I've been struggling really bad with the protein shakes. The first kind I had made me soooo sick. I recently switched and it's just vile. I can't gag down more then one gulp before I want to vomit. I'm supposed to be strictly water, crystal light, and shakes for two more weeks before they say I can start puree foods, but I don't see it working. I always feel hungry and by late day I'm feeling weak. Please help.

White Dove
on 9/3/14 6:31 am - Warren, OH

Most protein shakes are pretty disgusting and we just gag them down.  I kept trying samples and finally found some that I loved.  BSN sells Syntra-6 and Lean Dessert.  Both of them smell like cake mix instead of sour milk.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gwen M.
on 9/3/14 6:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Lots of people like Isopure, have you tried those?  Have you tried different temperatures of things at all?  Some people have better luck with warmer drinks.  You could also try adding unflavored powder to crystal light or chicken broth protein powder from Unjury.  

You could also check out Nashua Nutrition - they sell single serve samples of protein powder and you could order a bunch.  I prefer protein powder mixed in almond milk over ready to drink shakes. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

magoo1017
on 9/3/14 6:44 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I first tried EAS which before surgery was fine, now it makes me sick. Now I am trying pre made muscle milk 100 which, in my opinion, is so vile I gag down one gulp and I'm done. I'm not supposed to have ANYTHING right now except protein shakes, water, and crystal light but I cant, I need something else in my diet. I have a very strict Dr apparently. I've had chicken broth and I've been debating trying a scrambled egg. Funds are a bit tight so I'm not able to run out and buy a bunch of different kinds of shake options,unfortunately. Thank you for your reply and ideas ill definitely look into it.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/3/14 6:53 am

Do not advance your diet with food before you are supposed to. And eggs cause lots of people problems.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/3/14 6:43 am

I found the Syntrax and Jay Robb shakes to be tolerable, and I found them in sample packs locally. It also helps to drink them out of a shaker bottle to minimize the whey smell most of them have. You can make them with water as well.

Check out Nik's and Shelly's websites for suggestions too:

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

magoo1017
on 9/3/14 6:45 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thank you. Ill look into it.

56sunShine14
on 9/3/14 7:55 am

If you are able to have milk, I drink 1/2%.  I use the Pure Protein brand of whey isolate powder.  In a blender, mix 6-8oz. skim or 1/2% milk, one full scoop protein mix (chocolate/peanut butter or just chocolate), a SMALL banana and 4-5 ice cubes.  Mix it up well.  It is a lot like a great shake.  This is the only protein shake I care for.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Eggface
on 9/3/14 9:37 am - Sunny Southern, CA

There are tasty ones after tasting 100's I found several I actually love and look forward too but it's a one post-ops treat is another's monkey's ass type thing gotta taste test a bunch. 

In the meantime... try swapping milks or doing 1/2 milk, 1/2 water (sometimes it's lactose that is the issue) and use a travel mug (skims the foam and masks smell), here's a few more tips

Double milk is an option too... add non-fat dry to regular milk will give you a bit more protein. Try it warm too... like a steamer. 

You can do this... aim for a little better each day. Don't look to far ahead and suddenly life will get better and better. Get outside and breath some fresh air too (clears the head, blues that comes with major change/surgery)

Sending you good wishes!

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

magoo1017
on 9/3/14 11:26 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I tried with milk, made me soooooo sick. Switched to pre made and I seriously can't gag it down. It is so vile. I know I keep saying that and everyone is probably rolling their eyes at me but it's,extremely hard to force yourself to drink something that disgusts you so much you'd rather just go without. Also my Dr doesn't allow milk at all, even before my surgery they wanted me to stop milk. I made eggs, well I ate a bit and my 2 year old made his way to my plate for the rest lol. Once I am able I am going to look into trying another brand. Thank you Shelly for your reply!!

Most Active