FDA re-classification of Vicodin and Tramadol (x-post)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/22/14 1:11 am, edited 9/22/14 6:58 am - OH

This may be of particular relevance to anyone who is pre-op, planning to have RNY, and who suffers from arthritis or other conditions for which they take NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen (OTC drugs like Aleve and  Motrin) or prescription anti-inflammatory (e.g., Celebrex) or pain meds.

Effective last month, the FDA re-classified both Vicodin and Tramadol on the drug control schedules in order to more closely control them and cut down on abuse.  Vicodin is now a Schedule II narcotic just like  Morphine, and Tramadol is now a Schedule IV drug).  This means that doctors are going to be much less likely to prescribe them for pain for patients who cannot take NSAIDs.

I would have been completely miserable without the Tramadol and Vicodin for the severe arthritis in my knees (which was helped surprisingly little by losing 190 pounds)!  I would have been forced to have my knees replaced several years before I was ready.

So, for those who are considering RNY and currently take pain meds or anti-inflammatories, you may want to take this into consideration when making your final decision about surgery, and may want to give more serious consideration the VSG or DS which don't carry the prohibition on NSAIDs because of the risk of ulcers in the blind remnant stomach (since there IS no remnant stomach).

Lora

(edited for typo on weight loss amount)

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Member Services
on 9/22/14 6:55 am - Irvine, CA

Most Active