Low iron & trbl absorbing meds

Carrie C.
on 10/2/14 6:56 am - Victoria, TX

ive been fighting low ferritin levels since February. Been on integra med twice but no improvement. Level is at an 8 right now😗 endocrinologist wants me to take another round of integra.... WLS dr says try tandem plus not integra! Any thoughts here??

also have trbl absorbing my synthroid med...for past 8 mnths tsh levels have been on roller coaster which is not good after having thyroid cancer in 2004

frustrated here so any suggestions?

Member Services
on 10/2/14 7:59 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Carrie,

We are sorry to hear all you are going through. Try posting this on your surgery type forum also 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/2/14 9:30 am

With levels that low, I would see a board certified hematologist right away.  

What does your endocrinologist say about your synthroid?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Carrie C.
on 10/3/14 2:41 am - Victoria, TX

Endo says TSH level is ok. I have not been referred to hematologist just throwing me back in integra again that hasn't helped!! WLS dr wants them to put me on tandem plus but Endo refuses. Trying to get Pcp dr to prescribe it for me since she will need to monitor it now as I'm firing this endo!!! I'm also recently diagnosed with full osteoporosis at 51 yrs old...SCAREY!!!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/3/14 2:59 am

If your insurance plan does not require a referral, refer yourself to a hematologist.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Carrie C.
on 10/4/14 1:41 am - Victoria, TX

Ty I will be looking into this asap!! From most replies the hematologist is the route I need to go👍

Ladytazz
on 10/2/14 10:55 am

Yeah, it is a waste of time to try to take it orally.  With ferritin that low you should have had an infusion a long time ago.  I had an infusion 4 years ago and my numbers started out great and steadily gone down even with supplements so my hemo decided it is time for another before it really gets bad.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Carrie C.
on 10/3/14 2:44 am - Victoria, TX

Wow good info just wish I knew where to turn now since no one is referring me to a hematologist 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/2/14 2:27 pm - OH

Most people don't have much trouble absorbing Synthroid after RNY (and many people don't even need their dose adjusted). If the levels have been up and down it sounds more like something besides your altered digestive system might be causing the problem.  (If it was just that you weren't absorbing it,  the level would just have changed and then stayed relatively stable other than when you changed your dosage.  

Have you varied what time of day you take it or what you take it with (e.g., water vs something else), whether you take it with other meds or with food?

How much of a change in dosage is the doctor having you make each time?  Sometimes the change in dose is too great (so you increase the dose too much and then the levels drop too much, so you drop the level back down and that is too far down).  Sometimes it takes doing something like taking a certain dose 6 days a week only and not taking anything the 7th day or skipping a dose (or doubling a dose) every other week (which is what I currently do to adjust for changes that appear to be menopause related).  Just a couple of things that you can discuss with the endocrinologist....

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Carrie C.
on 10/4/14 1:39 am - Victoria, TX

Ty for this great food for thought! I do take it first thing in an with water. No food meds vitamins for 30-60 minutes 

Most Active