WLS in Mexico

Large_1
on 10/7/14 3:21 am
with

So I began this journey about 5 months ago. I was trying to do some research into having the gastric bypass and discovered it wasn't possible with my current insurance, so I did some research and stumbled upon the MX idea. I thought it seemed like a very bad idea to go to MX for surgery, but after looking at everything it ended up being a good choice. I looked at every doctor imaginable and the one that I opted for was Dr. Alvarez. I couldn't really find anything negative about him like I could on some other Drs. I emailed the coordinator lady and asked what they needed and I supplied them with all they asked. They told me I needed to lose 10% of my body weight, do a 30 day liquid diet, ect.... I said to myself WTF let's go for it. So I scheduled my surgery for 9-29  of this year. Liquid diet really sucked, but I ended up losing 52LBs on the pre op diet! More than the required number, as my weight was 475, I am on the taller side as well at being just shy of 6'8. I sent them my 1k deposit and scheduled the surgery, got all my crap together and ended up flying into San Antonio. I grabbed the hotel shuttle like asked to do, they scooped me up and brought me to the hotel. I then jumped in a van with their driver Rosie, she spoke perfect English to my surprise. She took us down to Eagle pass TX, where I stayed for the evening, returned Monday and scooped me back up to bring me to MX. A quick final payment, weigh in and off I went for chest X-ray and blood work. Got an IV in and the Dr stopped in and said we're going to give you something to relax you. They did and I was OUT. Woke up in recovery a few hours later in discomfort but not huge pain. Stayed in their hospital for Monday and Tuesday, picked up and brought back to San Antonio Wednesday and grabbed a flight and was back in Chicago within a few hours and home resting, All in all I would recommend Mexico and/or Dr. Alvarez to anyone, I'm down right now to 397LBs and feeling great!

Luvmygs
on 10/7/14 3:41 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Excellent choice of Dr's! I've been watching all his video's on youtube and I really like him. Happy to hear that you're doing very well. Keep up the good work.

Cathy W.
on 10/7/14 6:50 am

Your experience is great.  Sounds like they have the process down and easy.

ObesityHelp has an area for patient/member reviews on surgeons.  You could share your experience on Dr. Alvarez so other members considering him as a surgeon can read about yours.

Congratulations on your surgery!

Kingsmom
on 10/7/14 12:39 pm

Nice to read your story , I had surgery in Mexico with another surgeon  and had an excellent experience too.    I am sure glad I did not get to do a 30 day liquid diet LOL.  The 10 days post op was enough for me.  Congratulations on getting sleeved!  

Got rid of my band!  Got a sleeve! 

VSG with Dr Wilhelmy Mexicali Bariatric Center 

tstowe
on 10/7/14 9:42 pm
On October 7, 2014 at 7:39 PM Pacific Time, Kingsmom wrote:

Nice to read your story , I had surgery in Mexico with another surgeon  and had an excellent experience too.    I am sure glad I did not get to do a 30 day liquid diet LOL.  The 10 days post op was enough for me.  Congratulations on getting sleeved!  

I had surgery in Mexico too. That's one thing I've noticed...they don't require the week or two week liquid diet before surgery. Before my surgery, I went on a low-carb diet for two weeks. I lost 10 pounds in that time.

beckern727
on 10/9/14 6:46 am - San Diego

I am so happy to hear about your experience.  Many people are scared about going to Mexico for surgery, but it's a great option for people like us looking for same great quality but at a way more affordable price.  Your story is very similar to mine, but I decided to go to Mexicali with Dr. Abril for my sleeve.  I am amazed at the results as well and like you, I would recommend anyone to go down to Mexico for WLS.  Like I always say, just make sure you do your homework and opt for the best doctor and best facilities.  

Love, 

Nicole

Nicole Becker

Sleeved by Dr. Rafael Abril in Mexicali B.C.

May 2014

Most Active