Got too comfortable

Willie H.
on 10/7/14 7:19 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I think I was getting too comfortable with eating. Today had raw broccoli and it had my stomach doing cartwheels!! Eventually I had to vomit it up and I felt better. I guess all those raw hard little heads are NOT good for my new stomach. I'll be a little more careful from now on. I think I'm going back to pureed and chewing more thoroughly and better. Another problem I seem to be having as of late is a sour stomach? I'm taking the Omeprazole but each day my stomach seems at least a little upset or at least sour? Anyone else? This is about my 6th week since Vertical Sleeve. (August 26,2014) Not really hungry that much but if I don't eat I get weak when I work out. Other than that, my weight lost is going well.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

kathkeb
on 10/7/14 7:58 am

Over the counter probiotic (Walgreens version of Align) helped with my sour stomach.

I also take Omeprazole daily.

Kath

Willie H.
on 10/9/14 5:13 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I was taking it on an empty stomach but now I wait until after I eat. Ok, so I'm not the only one that had a sour stomach? As I mention in subject line, I think I got a little "too comfortable" and ****y. Have to remember this is still a long journey and certain protocols have to be followed. Gained 2 lbs this week and the funny thing is I just started working out at gym and I know I burned a lot of calories and sweat-go figure? Just have to hang in there and work the program day by day. Learning a lot about my eating behavior and what I can and cannot have. Have to keep in mind that I am only 6 weeks into the program,still have a LOT to learn! Those sleeve veterans must look at us, smile and just say "they'll learn, they'll learn" :-) Anyway, I thank all of you on this forum, you've really been helpful and encouraging. 

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/7/14 10:17 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Raw broccoli can be a little too harsh for a six week old sleeve.  So are many raw vegetables.  You might want to wait another month or two until you introduce them into your diet.

Do you take the Omeprazole on an empty stomach?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Valerie G.
on 10/7/14 9:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It was nearly six months before I could enjoy raw veggies again.  I still like them slow cooked and soft for the most part anymore. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Quanita L.
on 10/7/14 10:36 am - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Hi, I believe it's the stringy bits in the stalk that can cause issues with veggies. I had nausea for a very long time post op ~6mnths not to the point of throwing up just a continual not quite right feeling that would push toward queasy in waves.  I actually don't remember that, but my surgeon read it in my notes and reminded me of it when I went to see him about my revision.

your body needs adequate nutrients in order for you to work out at high intensities for your body and lifestyle.
I know the no-carb or low-carb fans are going to come down on this, but your body needs carbs to work out, it uses them when you work out, it uses them to keep your mood stabilised and it uses them to help you think and concentrate on what you are doing.  One of the most highly recommended pre-workout snacks is a banana. (also peanut butter, whole meal bread).  It's also good to have a mix of complex and simple carbs pre-workout, because you tend to burn through one super quick and then need the other to maintain your stamina.

You need more carbs just before and during exercise and enough protein after to repair and build new muscle.

High protein snacks/meals/diets (with low to no carbs)  have been proven scientifically to increase irritability; make you generally more down and depressed, create nausea and gastrointestinal distress in athletes and it decreases your ability to concentrated and solve complex problems.

Also solid protein does a very good job of plugging our pyloric valve post surgery, so if you eat that first then a small amount of carbohydrate, it will be too long before your body actually gets the benefit of the carb (30-60 mins). That fact is great for satiety when you are not working out, but not so good pre-workout.

Congratulations on your great weight loss, keep on keeping on.

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

tstowe
on 10/7/14 9:21 pm

I'm five weeks out and I had steamed broccoli last night. It tore my stomach up too.

I had two ounces of grilled chicken and two ounces of broccoli. I didn't fini**** all because I felt full. About 45 minutes to an hour later, nausea set in. I ended up vomiting twice. Everything was fine by the time I went to bed but it was a rough couple of hours.

So steam it longer? Or just avoid it for a few more weeks?

DelilahJO
on 10/7/14 10:40 pm

Are you drinking plain water? As that can cause nausea after wls as well. Squirt in some lemon juice or Mio and see if that helps ( if you think that's contributing) :)

Member Services
on 10/8/14 3:28 am - Irvine, CA

This process is trial and error, note to self no raw broccoli at this time   Congratulations on your surgery and weight loss.  Keep us posted!

Most Active