Gastric Bypass Patients that are 70+ or more years of age

betterme2014
on 11/10/14 5:22 am - Canada

Just wondering what life is like post-op the older we get. Are there more nutritional deficiencies you experience the older you are or are they the same? I am pre-op and often wonder what life will be like for me as I age. I know it will be better in many ways to loose the weight but what will life be like when I'm 70 or so? Does anyone now? I spoke to my parents 80+ and they wondered the same for me.

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come.

Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.

~ unknown

MsBatt
on 11/10/14 6:13 am

It's natural for humans to have more nutritional deficiencies as we age. The older you get, the more important it is to monitor your nutritional health, take vitamins and supplements, get tests run, etc. I'm talking about NON-op people here.

I'm not yet 70, nor did I have a gastric bypass. I'm 56, and I'm nearly 11 years post-op from the Duodenal Switch, a form of WLS that's even more malabsorptive than the RNY/gastric bypass. While my nutritional health is better now than it was when I was pre-op, over the past few years I have had to increase my dosage of some of my vites in order to keep it that way.

I often see newbies ask something like "What will happen to me if I become unable to take care of my nutritional needs and am unable to tell others/remember what I need?" My answer has always been that for ME, if I become too goofy to take my vites or tell others what vites I need, then it's my time to go.

I don't mean that in a morbid way. Had I not had my DS when I did, I probably wouldn't be alive today. Every happy, healthy day I have from here on out is golden, and thanks to my surgery!

betterme2014
on 11/10/14 10:07 pm - Canada

Thank you for your response! Congrats on your success!

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come.

Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.

~ unknown

Mary Gee
on 11/10/14 9:19 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I'd rather be at a healthy weight and take vitamins, then continue being fat.  I'll be entering my 70s in a healthy state.  If I didn't have surgery, I probably would not live to be 70.

How old are you?  Are you healthy now?  If you have surgery, you will be healthier.

Since surgery, I can walk - no more wheelchairs.  I am off blood pressure medications.  I am finally living my life!!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

betterme2014
on 11/10/14 10:06 pm - Canada

I'm 42. I'm healthy, the weight does effect me emotionally/mentally though I believe. I am very low in Vitamin D and other then that my blood work is good. I do get tired at night. I wish I could were some nice boots but my calves are too big to fit into any! It's strange how I've adapted to being obese. I can still do everything I just find the easiest way to do it because I have to.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on your success!

~ unknown

White Dove
on 11/10/14 7:24 pm - Warren, OH

My sister is a dietitian for a group of nursing homes.  While I was deciding on whether to have surgery, we talked about the effects of the surgery on aging persons.  She has had several post-op patients in her care and I was able to talk to some of them.  They come into the home and are very insistent that their meals be high protein and low carb.

The nursing home does not provide protein shakes and if they want to drink something other than Ensure, they will have family members bring their shakes in to them.  The patients who have had weight loss surgery are thinner, more active and stronger than many of their counterparts *****mained obese.

They dress nicely and are careful about their hair, makeup, and taking their vitamins. They participate in exercise and other activities.  People *****mained obese are more likely to spend their time watching TV.  Post-ops are more likely to be on the planning committee for social events or taking a Zumba class in the exercise room.

People *****main obese are the least active and healthy patients in the nursing home.  There are a lot of fat people and there are a lot of old people, but there are not a lot of fat, old people.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

betterme2014
on 11/10/14 10:08 pm - Canada

Thank you for your insight. It makes sense. I appreciate your comment!

~ unknown

betterme2014
on 11/10/14 10:02 pm - Canada

Thank you ladies for your insight. I appreciate everything you've shared. It has really helped me.

THANKS!

~ unknown

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/10/14 10:43 pm - OH

I had the same concern before I had my RNY since it is common knowledge that as we age the body does become less able to absorb nutrients.  It was one of the things that made me choose RNY over the DS (which has greater vitamin malabsorption).  Since the body becomes less efficient, nutritional deficiencies are common in the elderly in general.  It just means, though, that you will need to be extra diligent with supplements when you are older.

As the others have said, though, if I had not had the surgery, I wasn't going to live to be 70 or 80!  It is, however, one of the reasons that I would choose VSG instead of RNY if I were making my surgery choice now instead of 7 years ago.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active