3 months out and struggling

Pianolover
on 6/17/15 11:17 am

I'm 3 months out from SADI surgery, it has been quite the ride! My weight loss has been a lot better than I expected...80 pounds in just 4.5 months since I started the journey. But lately I'm struggling with adjusting to my new way of eating and a 50-55 hour work week. I throw up probably twice a week...I've told my surgeon's office about this and they have said it is a normal process for some people to figure out what the stomach can or cannot tolerate yet. It is frustrating when I can tolerate Thai food one day but then the next day throw up morning vitamins just because I took it on an empty stomach rather than with my usual SF popsicle.

I try to keep my protein up, but on days that I work I don't get much variety in my diet because I'm scared of eating something that won't agree with my stomach and having to throw up at work. And also it is hard to keep the protein intake up when there's extra time I have to take to throw up and then let my stomach recover that could have been used to get more water/protein in.

I'm tired all the time probably from a combination of working too much/lack of sleep, rapid weight loss, and anemia. I'm emotional and crying several days of the week because I'm tired and anxious and because I'm so discouraged from the throwing up. I am seeing a counselor and taking an anti-anxiety/sleep medication. I basically just feel like I'm surviving at this point, when I thought I would be thriving.

On the bright side, most of my pants are too big....and I hiked 2 miles uphill yesterday, something that I never attempted to do 80 pounds ago because i would've been so miserable. Trying to see the positive!

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

Corrie33
on 6/17/15 11:37 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I'm 4 months out and still throwing up at least 1-2 days a week.  It's better, though... at 3 months out I was throwing up 3-4 times a week.  But you're right - it is frustrating when it happens.  With me, there is usually no rhyme or reason to it.  The yogurt that works almost every day suddenly comes up the next day for no reason.  And once my pouch rejects something, it's done for the day.  Or at least up to 8 hours.  I can't even ge****er down after that happens.  So, I'm tired, too, and also working 50 hours/week.  

The only thing that keeps me going is that when I have a couple days of 'rejection'... the scale is VERY good to me.  This week I lost 6.6 pounds because for two days I couldn't keep anything down and had to skip breakfast and lunch.  

Hang in there... I think it gets better.  

GOAL REACHED! 170 lbs lost...

RNY: 2/9/15 (age 52), Ht-5'9" HW=304, SW=292, GW=155, LW=134, CW=147

Mo.1 -29lbs Mo.2 -18lbs Mo.3 -13lbs Mo.4 -11lbs Mo.5 - 14lbs Mo.6 - 10lbs Mo. 7 -11lbs Mo. 8 -9.4lbs

MickeyDee
on 6/17/15 3:09 pm

Sleep when you're tired.  You've already figured out you need something on your stomach to take your vitamins; take B12 for low iron (if you have your bloodwork done); sleep when you're tired.

I don't know about your work situation, but surely such hours can't be good for you.  I know I could only do two 16-hour days consecutively when I was in the work force.  First rule:  take care of yourself.  

Hislady
on 6/17/15 3:39 pm - Vancouver, WA

Ok I'm just going from things I've read here because I don't even have WLS anymore but you always need to take vitamins with food, even I have to do that. You both MUST cut back on your work hours it takes months to fully recover from even a no problem surgery and if you are both throwing up all the time you aren't even getting the nourishment to be healing like others do.

If I were both of you I would call and tell your surgeon you want to be checked for strictures, they can happen to anyone fairly often and are easily fixed for the most part. Don't just let them tell you it's nothing without checking it out. Make an appointment and tell them things aren't improving and it's time for more investigation!

As for the emotions alot of that is from hormone dumping from losing weight so rapidly and it will continue as long as the rapid weight loss is going on. For pete's sake if you are so worn out why in the world are you hiking 2 miles up hill, the time would have been better spent taking a nap! You can't expect to heal properly if you aren't willing to insist on taking proper care of yourselves!

Poodlemac
on 6/18/15 7:10 am
RNY on 09/26/14
On June 17, 2015 at 3:39 PM Pacific Time, Hislady wrote:

Ok I'm just going from things I've read here because I don't even have WLS anymore but you always need to take vitamins with food, even I have to do that. You both MUST cut back on your work hours it takes months to fully recover from even a no problem surgery and if you are both throwing up all the time you aren't even getting the nourishment to be healing like others do.

If I were both of you I would call and tell your surgeon you want to be checked for strictures, they can happen to anyone fairly often and are easily fixed for the most part. Don't just let them tell you it's nothing without checking it out. Make an appointment and tell them things aren't improving and it's time for more investigation!

As for the emotions alot of that is from hormone dumping from losing weight so rapidly and it will continue as long as the rapid weight loss is going on. For pete's sake if you are so worn out why in the world are you hiking 2 miles up hill, the time would have been better spent taking a nap! You can't expect to heal properly if you aren't willing to insist on taking proper care of yourselves!

Likely not strictures but learning what the pouch can tolerate and recognizing full signals.  It's part of the process to throw up a few times!

Pianolover
on 6/18/15 10:26 am

I can take vitamins with jus****er at any other time of the day and be just fine, but for some reason it was only in the morning that it gives me problems.

I wi**** was as easy as you say to just cut back my hours, unfortunately I have the schedule I have and just have to endure for the next couple weeks until I can cut back to 4 days a week instead of 5.

As far as hiking, it was a day off and because of that I got enough sleep the night before....I'm not gonna waste my day off laying in bed and it felt good to exercise.

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

shaners916
on 6/17/15 10:44 pm

Wow the throwing up part doesn't seem fun.  Does everyone throw up like that after a surgery or does it depend on the person?

Han Shot First
on 6/18/15 4:55 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

From what I've seen, it varies quite a bit by the person.  I personally haven't thrown up at all after surgery, but others are not so lucky.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

iloveravens
on 6/18/15 7:11 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I have never thrown up.  My parents who have both had RNY threw up a lot (my dad continues to because he overeats all of the time).  Sad.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Poodlemac
on 6/18/15 7:11 am
RNY on 09/26/14
On June 17, 2015 at 10:44 PM Pacific Time, shaners916 wrote:

Wow the throwing up part doesn't seem fun.  Does everyone throw up like that after a surgery or does it depend on the person?

I've thrown up a couple of times. It's not uncommon nor a reason to panic. 

Most Active