Heartburn question

NikkyBeauty
on 8/1/15 5:10 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

I've been having really bad heartburn since my prescription for my ppi the my surgeon prescribed ended!  I called my surgeon to let him know that I needed a authorization for more so my insurance would pay, but said he only prescribes them for the first few months and won't send an authorization for more! Now it doesn't matter what I eat or don't eat I have heartburn everyday! I never really had heartburn before surgery but now it's bad and I never had any heartburn or nothing close to it until a few days after My last ppi pill but I'm feeling awful! Is this common for vsg and should I just have my pcp just prescribe me some Or should I talk with my surgeon again and tell him about the really bad non stop heartburn? In the meantime is there something Otc that I can take that ?

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Missella20
on 8/1/15 5:39 pm
RNY on 07/11/13

Prilosec.  I am in pain if I don't take it. My original prescription was for 3 months. When I stopped taking it after 3 months, I was in pain. So my dr. said to just continue taking. I am 2 yr post surgery. If I couldn't getit from the dr. I would just get Prilosec OTC. Hope it helps!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

NYMom222
on 8/1/15 6:03 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

The over the counter Prilosec is a half dosage compared to the prescription. My surgeon puts everyone on it for the first three months, but if you still need it (like me) he gives it to you. If you belong to Costco, Sams or BJ's I would look for it there, and look for the generic omeprazole. It can get pricey compared to if your insurance was paying for the script. Maybe your PC would write a script.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

kathkeb
on 8/2/15 12:16 am

I took over the counter Omeprazole .... 2 tabs (40mg) per day.

That worked fine ... But then my gastro switched me to pentaprazole .... Seems to work the same, but only costs me 1.92 per month co-pay.

If I were you, I would get some Omeprazole at Walmart or Walgreens until you can get your PCP to write you a script.

Kath

emelar
on 8/2/15 12:01 pm - TX

If you stopped your PPI cold turkey, that could be the problem as well. You have to wean yourself off of them slowly, or your stomach goes into overdrive producing acid. Just a thought. 

NikkyBeauty
on 8/2/15 1:38 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Oh wow I didn't know that! But yea it was cold turkey and a few days later crazy non stop heartburn!

NikkyBeauty
on 8/2/15 1:40 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Thanks everyone I grabbed some Otc stuff it's working so far so good! Gonna walk in to my pcp tomorrow n see if I can get a script!

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/15 3:40 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Glad you were able to get some OTC! Before my RNY, I had really severe GERD, and the 5 days I had to go without my twice-daily Prilosec to prep for a pH monitoring study were absolutely miserable.

Amy1965
on 8/7/15 10:29 am

I am going through this right now. At my two year post op visit the NP noticed I had 20 mg Prilosec listed in daily meds. She wanted me to cut back and wean myself off. I told her I had just bought a 3 month supply. She said that was fine but towards the end I needed to take one every OTHER day to geadually get off of them. I have done that for 2 weeks and my reflux is off the chart bad. I called their office today (my surgeon passed away and his office staff has changed too). The CNA took my call and said to try Prevacid for two weeks and if that didnt work to call back. I'm frustrated. NEVER had reflux before my sleeve, never had reflux while taking one 20 mg Prilosec daily. Ideas or suggestions welcomed. Also in the market for new WLS in North Texas!  THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/15 6:41 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Why in the world did the NP want you to wean off Prilosec if it was working so well for you? Many people, VSGers in particular, need to be on a PPI like Prilosec or Nexium for the rest of their lives. When I was planning for VSG, I fully expected that to be the case...I only had to change course and have RNY instead when a double dose was still failing to control my GERD. But if Prilosec was working for you, I'd call the NP back and ask for a damn good reason why she told you to stop. Good luck!!

Most Active