Bad Habit is Coming Back-Needing Suggestions

Sweetish
on 8/11/15 7:37 am
RNY on 12/12/14

I had RNY in Dec. of 2014.  I am down 90 lbs.  Prior to my surgery, I had a bad habit of snacking after the kids went to sleep.  I am finding that this habit is trying to sneak it's way back into my life.

Late night snacking has to be the hardest thing for me to overcome now that I am a little ways out from having surgery-I do not want this problem coming back.  My last meal is around 7:00-7:30 every night and by 10:00 I am finding that I want a snack.  Usually it consists of cottage cheese, cucumbers or a greek yogurt.  Any suggestions on how I can stop this?

The Salty Hag
on 8/11/15 8:04 am
RNY on 05/20/13
On August 11, 2015 at 7:37 AM Pacific Time, Sweetish wrote:

I had RNY in Dec. of 2014.  I am down 90 lbs.  Prior to my surgery, I had a bad habit of snacking after the kids went to sleep.  I am finding that this habit is trying to sneak it's way back into my life.

Late night snacking has to be the hardest thing for me to overcome now that I am a little ways out from having surgery-I do not want this problem coming back.  My last meal is around 7:00-7:30 every night and by 10:00 I am finding that I want a snack.  Usually it consists of cottage cheese, cucumbers or a greek yogurt.  Any suggestions on how I can stop this?

How many times a day are you eating? If your calories are low enough and you haven't already eaten 5 or 6 small meals during your day, honestly...I wouldn't worry about that last snack. I eat 5 times a day, sometimes 6 if I've had a lower calorie day. It's 3 hours after your dinner, so it's not like you're eating a meal and then immediately eating a snack after. 

The only way I can think of to stop yourself from eating is to drink water, tea...something like that to keep from eating instead...or try going to sleep earlier. 

If you are worried about that snack impacting weight loss, look at your entire menu through out the day, and tweak your menu to weed out any naughty stuff. ( not saying your eating poorly...it's just a thought in case you are worried. ) 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

NYMom222
on 8/11/15 8:51 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I am a night owl and lately late night snacking has been entering too. Sometimes I haven't eaten in like 5 hours, so yeah, my body wants food. What you are eating doesn't sound horrible, you have to look at it as part of the whole day and ask your self Does it fit in? there is nothing wrong with planning something for the end of the day.

When I write out my menu for the day, I plan a late night snack with a question mark. If I want it I have it, but I don't feel the need to have to have it. Usually greek yogurt for me.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/11/15 2:42 am, edited 8/11/15 2:42 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Try factoring it into your daily meal plan.  I am not hungry ever - so I don't eat breakfast until 10 am or so and then I eat 5-6 meals throughout the day to keep my blood sugars level.  Tweak your day so you can have that night time snack if you want it.  Who cares when you eat?  As long as it's planned meal/snack and protein forward what does it hurt?

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/11/15 9:42 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you know you're going to have a snack at night, why not re-work your meal and snack times and choices throughout the day so you have 100 calories left in the evening? I have to have a bedtime snack, and knowing I can have some string cheese or nuts helps a lot.

If you don't want to eat, how about something to drink? Many of us have a hard time with water intake anyway, so grab your water bottle and have some Crystal Light or something. Chicken broth or hot tea are good too!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 8/11/15 9:53 am - Warren, OH

Late night snacking is perfectly acceptable.  Just plan what you will eat and make that part of your daily food allowance.  I have always had five or six small meals everyday.  I limit to 300 or 200 calories each time and try to make my snacks things like cheese sticks, yogurt, turkey sausage, ham, eggs.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kathy S.
on 8/11/15 10:53 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track.  Here are some steps I hope will help you. They helped me...  Also, be sure and join the Back On Track Together group link in my signature area.  

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery?  How many meetings, classes and such did we attend?  We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success.  And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods.  Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies and fruits.  

Journaling

Get back to journaling.  This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life.  Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating.  It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband.  It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food.  Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker

Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself.  Make them realistic and small.  Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat

​,​

calories, and sugar. Important vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan)

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea?  I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass.  So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer.  I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what I kept moving.  If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lift weights. When I stopped, the weight came on.  So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV.  Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Roma
on 8/11/15 1:03 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

It's no big deal to snack in the evening as others have said. ... but I would really urge you to think about why the night is a food trigger. Are you bored? Do you feel lonely? Are you nervous or stressed about the day? 

Many of us turn to food at night when we are alone for these reasons. I've found it helpful to talk to a support group and counselor about these issues.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Most Active