Mourning pizza

Jenn77p
on 8/18/15 6:52 pm
RNY on 08/07/15

i am only seven days post op. Until today things have been great. My family and I were out shopping tonight and they needed dinner. Of course the cheapest way to feed a family of five is to get a pizza. I asked if they had cottage cheese, apple sauce, or anything on my soft food plan. Of course they didn't. So I sat and drank my water watching them eat pizza. I broke down, wanting to cry but stayed strong in front of the kids. But now I am so depressed. However this is exactly why I needed this surgery. If I was practicing my old diet habits I would have had three or four slices saying "I will start my diet tomorrow".

am I going to be able to eat pizza down the road?  Just one slice?  

Jenn 77 p

White Dove
on 8/18/15 7:11 pm - Warren, OH

At three months out I would take a slice and just eat the toppings and leave the dough.  I could eat a slice now but rarely do.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/18/15 7:17 pm

The question isn't will you, but should you? Most of us physically can eat pretty much anything. However, the most successful are those who don't indulge until maintenance,  and then only when they plan for the extra calories and fit them into their overall calorie budget. And treats must be true treats, mean once in awhile, not daily.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Maria27
on 8/18/15 7:31 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Sure, but if you are like me, you may not enjoy it much anymore. Early out is tough, but eventually you adjust. I don't miss a lot of foods that i used to miss anymore. Hang in there and be proud of your accomplishment.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/15 9:08 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I made the conscious decision to avoid adding bread back in as long as possible, but I miss pizza too. Someone on a Facebook group just posted this recipe for crustless pizza today...I plan to try it soon!

SkinnyScientist
on 8/19/15 7:36 am

I made the conscious decision to avoid adding bread back

-And this is why you are a rockstar that is SUCCEEDING!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

hl1524
on 8/19/15 3:56 am - Austin, TX

You can eventually find replacements. I have made pizza using a low carb tortilla and also using half of a flatout pizza. I don't eat much of these healthier items but it's nice to have something that isn't terrible for me. 

RNY 8/27/2014

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/19/15 6:17 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Right now you are in one of the most difficult stages -- you've had the surgery, must make the dietary changes to affect the loss you want, feel deprived but have none of the benefits yet of actually having lost.  Not to minimize what you may have lost thus far -- but you haven't lost a substantial amount yet and you haven't felt the joys and non-scale victories that await you.  You simply have to have faith that this time is different -- and that's pretty hard when most of us have felt the agony of depriving ourselves many times with little result.  No wonder you feel sad and like you're missing out.

You are missing out.

You are missing out ... on diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and an early death.  Arguably, just as important, you will miss out breaking lawn furniture, not fitting on roller coaster rides, being wedged into booths or theater seats and not dancing at your children's wedding.  But again, these are long-term things -- right now you are missing pizza.  

So, to answer your question, yes you likely will be able to eat a slice of pizza -- but hopefully, as you deal with your relationship with food and reap the benefits of losing a major amount of weight over the next year, you will come to see that you really don't miss pizza because you've gained so much in your life.  I mean, sure it tastes good, but your LIFE will taste so much better that you would never want some dough with cheese to control you again.  

I've been there.  I've had those feelings -- you aren't alone.

Screw Pizza -- it's never been your friend. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

lynnc99
on 8/19/15 6:56 am

Pizza is one food I thought I would miss the most. It was my "farewell" meal pre op. Like you, I could eat a LOT of pizza!

I am now 6 years out and will tell you honestly - I have not had a slice of pizza since surgery. Every so often I'll see it at Costco and it will smell good - but I'm able to walk on by. 

(Now, before you nominate me for sainthood, I'll tell you I'm not always this good!)

Your relationship with food, your craving for food, and your favorite foods list will change with time. 7 days out you are still very new at all this. 

Next time?

Keep something in your bag that you CAN have (a ready to drink shake, eventually a cheese stick, etc.) in case you're stuck....o

Or steer your family toward a place where there ARE options for you! 

And recognize - this was tough - but you did it!

SkinnyScientist
on 8/19/15 7:33 am

Heart felt warning-Dont get stuck in that situation again (no food that YOU can eat and a TRIGGER food in front of your face).  This would have been the time to enlist in the children's father to take them out and YOU take care of YOU.

This is a heart felt warning because Pizza was/is a trigger food for my cousin. About a week after WLS he allegedly had "just one bite of pizza". It sent him to the ER and the ER doc (because we are a small outpost town on the Canadian border) was SO SCARED for him that he was preparing the helicopter to fly him to Fargo ND (i.e. the nearest big city hospital) fearing stitches were ripped/staples pulled/pouch burst/whatever.

This is a FOR REAL warning. Head hunger and food addictions are a very deep and intense thing. Food addictions/passion for our favorites is so intense in people that the Bible even talks about it- ESSAU gave up his birthright/inheritance for a bowl of lentil stew.  I am not trying to preach or convert you, what I am trying to say is...you aren't the only one who struggles with food and mourning foood. And don't get yourself into such a situation again in the near future, because you MIGHT NOT BE SO STRONG, and bad things COULD HAPPEN.

I want you to succeed, get to goal, and get there well with minimium struggle.

-SKinny

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active