Any regrets!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/14/16 10:57 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I don't exactly understand your regret.  What options are more limited - do you mean eating options?  or lifestyle limitations???????

Sharon

Nancy
on 2/14/16 11:09 am - Kasson, MN

I have had a really hard time absorbing medications!  I was in a few bad car wrecks and they do not tell you that medications will be very limited on what truly absorbs.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/14/16 11:29 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

WLS does make taking meds more complicated. I hope you have good support.  I hope that they keep making more meds have other than oral pills forms.  To date, this has only been minor issue for me.  I hope that is gets easier for you.

Sharon

Eggface
on 2/14/16 11:19 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Nope... best decision I ever made.

9 years, 7 months, 26 days and counting :) 

Best wishes in your research,

~Shelly

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

502Laxi
on 2/14/16 3:26 pm - Denver, CO

Hi there, it's been 13 years for  me... and although at my lowest weight i went down to 134 and now weigh 164, I HAVE NO REGRETS!... Good luck and YOU DESERVE IT!  JUST DO IT.

Laxi

Work like you don't need the money....Dance like no one is watching... Love like you've never been hurt.   

Laxi 
Amy R.
on 2/14/16 4:39 pm

No regrets about the surgery specifically, but I do wish the surgeon had filled us in on re-gain and the probability of it after year two.  I never knew until I learned it here that our bodies become so good at compensating  and that our malabsorption is only temporary.  Of course that only makes sense, but I hadn't thought it through.

Now at over seven years out and having battled two fairly good-sized episodes of re-gain I am actually at my lowest weight post-op.  Even lower than what I weighed early out.  But it's been a struggle, and I could still stand to lose plenty more if I were so inclined.

I also don't like how I absorb meds, and have had some significant health scares.  But I honestly believe I'd be six feet under by now if I hadn't had surgical help.

=)

Nancy
on 2/15/16 4:20 am - Kasson, MN

Malabsorption is not temporary.  That is why we need to keep up on our vitamins.  A lot of people have low iron and B12 because we bypassed that part of our intestine.  If you thought about what u ate right after surgery and what u can eat again now.  We did not eat hardly anything, just worried about getting fluid in.  I remember looking at a plate of food it made me sick.  After gastric bypass there are a lot of meds u can't take due to how you absorb them.  I wish they would have told me how medications are affected.i am 12 years out!  I seen the surgery done on a lady before I had it done.  I was standing watching everything.  

Just keep up on eating better choices you can do it!

Grim_Traveller
on 2/15/16 5:39 am
RNY on 08/21/12

She was referring to malabsorption of calories being  temporary. She knows malabsorption of vitamins and some meds being permanent. Most meds are fine though, and there are almost always alternatives.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Amy R.
on 2/16/16 7:25 pm

Thank you Grim =)

Valerie G.
on 2/15/16 4:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

While I am very content with my DS more than a decade later, there are oodles of people not so lucky.  Go up to the Forums section, click "View All Forums" and look through the groups for WLS Regrets, Failed WLS, Revision Surgery forum.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active