Grads with regain...Let's talk!

Batwingsman
on 3/26/16 12:12 pm, edited 3/26/16 6:39 am - Garland, TX

Ah, I finally realized who it was:  

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/20500000/Fran-Dresche r-fran-drescher-20561032-2082-2560.jpg

Hopefully w/o the "New Yawk" accent though ..  

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

StephanieF.
on 3/28/16 6:10 pm

Haha...definitely without the New York accent! I'm southern to the core. 

Extended tummy tuck/hernia repair on July 28, 2008! Five pounds of skin removed!
Be miserable. Or motivate yourself.  Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. ~W.D

Weight at surgery on July 26, 2006: 304 lbs
Lowest weight: 147 (157 pounds lost!)
Regain over the past 2 years (2012-2014) - 59 pounds
REBOOTING! :) Working on losing back down to 160 (beginning Jan. 18, 2015)

Amy R.
on 3/26/16 3:05 pm, edited 3/26/16 8:06 am

***edited because I forgot to respond to the OP, lol.

It's great you came back and I can tell you from my own regains that it absolutely is possible to lose not only what you've regained but even more.  I had regains - big ones of 40 and 50+ pounds - and I sit here this afternoon weighing less than my prior lowest post op weight by about 10 pounds.

The first thing I had to do was stop the regain.  There was a point that I just would not allow myself to go beyond.  I felt like if I went up and over that weight I'd never be able to stop and I'd become one of those *****gained all of their weight.  I'm not willing to do that.  For the first 10 days or so I concentrated not on losing weight but on just maintaining.  I didn't get WLS to continue along with the starve-binge-starve cycle that was my M.O. prior.

For me, it all came down to eating too much.  I gained weight because I ate too much.  I was on some medications at times that likely didn't help the matter but I put the food in my mouth all by myself.  It was the wrong food, too much of it, and not conducive at all to long-term maintenance.

Losing regain was simple, but definitely not easy.  Protein first (the dense stuff), veggies and if any room a bite or three of fruit or some carb.  I don't count anything; calories, carbs, protein, nothing. 

The only number I look at is sugar grams per serving.  I dump horribly and then get awful episodes of reactive hypoglycemia.  Fortunately for me this is completely avoidable if I don't eat sugar.  Being human, I do occasionally have a sweet but must keep sugar under 10-15 grams.  If I don't know the sugar info I limit myself to 3 to 5 bites of whatever it is.  And bites for me now are not everything I can fit on a fork, but maybe 1/3 of the forks surface almost like you would give a small child.

You'll eventually find what works for you.  You never have to diet again.  Everyone has their own path and I don't doubt for one minute that you'll find yours.  =)  Good Luck!

********slight hijack

Batwingsman - so you had that amount of regain in spite of having the DS?  I know of one other here on OH who went through that but we so rarely hear about regain from the DS. 

Thanks for being honest and upfront about it.  Newbies (and some vets) need to know that the Duodenal Switch is no more magical than any other WLS. 

It's simply another tool/surgery from which to choose with pros and cons like any others.

StephanieF.
on 3/28/16 6:31 pm

Amy, I'm so encouraged by your story! I haven't allowed myself to think I could ever get down to my lowest weight again. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. 

I'm trying the dense protein first method, too. I have it along with a vegetable, like grape tomatoes or some broccoli or green beans (both with lots of garlic. YUM).  Then later if I need a snack I'll have a protein drink or some string cheese with a few tomatoes.

I'm also adding in more exercise in the course of my day, tracking my steps with a tracker. I've been successful for about a week now, so that's a start. I know it's long term, but I'm encouraged.

Oh, and I still have episodes of dumping after sugar, especially if it is combined with fat. Ice cream, for example, gets me every time if I go further than two bites. I am SO GLAD. 

Thank you again for sharing! I just sent you a friend request. 

Extended tummy tuck/hernia repair on July 28, 2008! Five pounds of skin removed!
Be miserable. Or motivate yourself.  Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. ~W.D

Batwingsman
on 3/28/16 9:18 pm, edited 3/28/16 2:22 pm - Garland, TX

Exactly ..  very well said, Amy ..        I tell people that WLS is not a ticket that guarantees a ride to "non-obesity land", but merely a passport that can allow us to get there ...  

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

StephanieF.
on 3/28/16 6:15 pm

I'm so sorry that you've struggled with regain, too. I know it's hard, but I think we can do it! I am just trying to build in more walking every day in my building at work, and trying to walk at home in the morning before work a few days a week. I had quit exercising with any regularity, and it was not a good idea.

I feel like I can eat more now, too, but when I focus on the protein first, like a grilled piece of chicken or a burger patty, then add some veggies, I really do feel more in control. ("my name is Steph, and I'm a carboholic...")

For snacks, I'm trying to do string cheese, edamame steamers, protein drinks, etc. I am just a person who has to plan. I don't like to, but I have to, because not doing it has been harmful to me.

I'm so glad to hear about your lipid levels and management of diabetes..that is a huge benefit!

Also, thanks for saying I remind you of Fran Drescher. What a nice compliment. 

Lorrainecma
on 3/30/16 8:15 am

Thank you sharing!!!

I say the trick is to never give up. Even 84 lbs is SUCCESS!!! That being said, you would be happier to remove that extra. I personally would not be above revision if I had to do it.

Never ever give up. I just believe 100% that is the real trick. Regardless of how many times, or how much we have failed. Continue to get back up. You will hit it right!!!

StephanieF.
on 3/30/16 4:25 pm

Thanks for that encouragement, Lorraine! Yes, I'm happy to have kept that weight off, and I hope to keep working toward losing what I have gained!    Never give up is right!

Most Active