Protein

Tdheason
on 7/19/16 2:42 pm
RNY on 06/27/16

i am starting my 4th wk. post op from gastric bypass and been eating soft foods a couple of days. The only thing I like is beans and refried beans. I cannot get in my protein. I hate shakes, I have gene pro and I swear I can taste it. I only like water and skim milk and hard to get that down. I think I'm going to skip work tomorrow to just stay home and cry. I wish I didn't do this to my body. If I don't get in the protein I won't lose and it isn't healthy.  What do you do if you don't want anything to eat or drink at all?  I've tried mixing protein with all kinds of stuff and just don't like it. Oh, I'm sick of crushing up my pills to because I can't find anything to mix it with that I can't taste the pills or want to eat. Just a basket case today? Any words of encouragement or suggestions?

hollykim
on 7/19/16 2:49 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 19, 2016 at 9:42 PM Pacific Time, Tdheason wrote:

i am starting my 4th wk. post op from gastric bypass and been eating soft foods a couple of days. The only thing I like is beans and refried beans. I cannot get in my protein. I hate shakes, I have gene pro and I swear I can taste it. I only like water and skim milk and hard to get that down. I think I'm going to skip work tomorrow to just stay home and cry. I wish I didn't do this to my body. If I don't get in the protein I won't lose and it isn't healthy.  What do you do if you don't want anything to eat or drink at all?  I've tried mixing protein with all kinds of stuff and just don't like it. Oh, I'm sick of crushing up my pills to because I can't find anything to mix it with that I can't taste the pills or want to eat. Just a basket case today? Any words of encouragement or suggestions?

you don't have to worry about the protein so much right now. Focus on liquids. As Long  as you have fat on your body, your body will break down the fat for energy and this is what causes weight loss. That takes care of your nutrition. 

Meat what protein you can even if you don't want to. It is a job now, not something we do because we want to. 

I never crushed my pills and I  did just fine. That isbwhst I did, you make your own choice, but at this point it is really unnecessary.

sheriberi29
on 7/19/16 2:54 pm - Cleveland, TN

My nurse was bringing me whole pills about 2 hours after I was out of the recovery room. I agree it is not necessary to crush any pills at all. Have you tried different types of protein ? Also make sure your getting in all of your fluids because if you allow yourself to be dehydrated , you'll likely feel more nauseated and want to eat even less . Premier protein seems to be a mild favorite shake that air of people tolerate better than some others . We all have bad days mentally and emotionally, especially fresh out of surgery, today was one of those days for me.... I hope you feel better soon ! 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Grim_Traveller
on 7/19/16 3:45 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There are a million kinds of protein powders out there. Try some others. The Syntrax Nectars are different, and very high quality. The Genepro is actually a crappy source. They make some really false claims.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

-Flo-
on 7/19/16 5:33 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I can taste genepro too. 

Laura in Texas
on 7/19/16 6:18 pm

Slim Fast High Protein shakes were the only thing I could handle immediately post-op. I made myself drink 4 a day. That was my job. I did that for 4 weeks before I felt like I was ready to move on to anything else. Not all of us have an easy time. Some people drink the shakes from cups with lids so that they do not smell it and it is easier for them to drink.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

SoCalDee
on 7/19/16 6:45 pm
VSG on 06/24/16

I am so sorry you are having a rough time!

Have you tried scrambled eggs? I just had some a few days ago and they tasted like heaven to me! I am able to tolerate the Premier Protein shakes, but really only the strawberry flavor. If you like beans sprinkle the protein powder in them.

My doctor told me to concentrate on fluids first, and protein second.

Hang in there.... it WILL get better. One day at a time. You made a courageous choice to get healthy and take care of yourself.

5'0 Heaviest 247.4 Surgery Weight 236.0  Goal 140

*Believe in yourself and you will be unstoppable*

Tdheason
on 7/19/16 6:47 pm
RNY on 06/27/16

You are sweet! I know I will be happy in the long run but really struggling.

TimeToHealRich2016
on 7/20/16 2:50 am - CA
VSG on 07/11/16

You're getting good advice from others and, having had one of these FUNK days myself, thanks for sharing.  I hit a wall with protein shakes and crushing the damn pills but scolded myself that it is a small price to pay in reversing years of physical abuse.  Congratulations on being one of the few who took concrete action to get healthier.

Rich

HW: 447 SW: 415 GW: 240 CW: 339 Total WL = 110

WL: Pre-op: -32 M1: -27 M2: -19 M3: -14 M4: -9 M5 & M6: -9 in progress

Valerie G.
on 7/20/16 5:08 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

For fluids, try all kinds of flavors and even temperatures.  I found my solace with watered down punch flavored koolaid and decaf tea with splenda.  Once I figured that out, it got easier.

For protein, try switching to egg protein drinks instead of whey.  Egg is more expensive, but there isn't that horrible after-taste that I could taste no matter what.  I mix vanilla with ice coffee and it's quite tasty.

If you can eat soft foods, start getting acquainted with ricotta cheese.  You can add tomato sauce and shredded cheese for a savory meal, or a little sweetener and vanilla for a treat.  You can even get really crazy and mix it with SF instant pudding and a little milk to get it to the tastiest high-protein pudding, ever.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active