Think I'm getting a headcold

z_m14
on 9/14/16 2:28 pm
RNY on 07/05/16

I've been hanging around a friend that has been sick for a few days, and now I think I'm getting sick, too. I just have a stuffy nose and "heavy" head, I guess.

Of course, I need to rethink my medication options. What cold medicines are we allowed to take after RNY? NyQuil was my go-to in the old days, but I don't know if it's ok for post-RNY. 

Also, what about antibiotics, such as amoxicillin? I think if I go to the health center up here at school, I will need to tell them that I had RNY so that they give me the right dosage. I used to be able to take 800 mg of amoxicillin; I don't think that would be wise, now.

sheriberi29
on 9/14/16 2:36 pm - Cleveland, TN

Your antibiotics do not need to change. The only thing you can not have are NSAIDs. Also be careful of the sugar content of cold medications. 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/14/16 3:11 pm

If you have a garden-variety cold, no need for antibiotics. I don't usually take anything but hot tea and apply plenty of lip balm to my nose to help ward off a chapped nose.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

z_m14
on 9/15/16 5:46 am
RNY on 07/05/16

Thanks. I was asking about antibiotics because I sometimes get an ear infection when I get a sinus infection, and I used to take amoxicillin for that.

Gwen M.
on 9/14/16 3:37 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

NyQuil and DayQuil are tylenol based, not NSAID based, so they're fine.  Go with the caps, not the liquid.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 9/14/16 3:43 pm - Warren, OH

I found out cold medicine**** me hard for the first few years after surgery.  I take Mucinex but usually at bedtime only.  I also find using the Neti Pot helps a lot.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Valerie G.
on 9/15/16 4:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's probably too late for you now, but the best defense is a good offense.  Take it from a girl who hasn't had a cold in a decade.

• First of all - your nutritional health makes a difference.  Vitamins D, C, and Zinc are big boosters for immunity.  Learn how to read your own labs and watch these numbers specifically.  If you're on the low end of normal, you're more susceptible to a cold.  Keep them on the high end and you have an invisible bubble.
  • Wash your hands with good old fashioned soap, steering away from antibacterial stuff.
  • If you feel the onset of a cold...that icky feeling before the symptoms grab you...eat garlic, LOTS of garlic.  Garlic is a natural antiviral and highly underused. I cut a clove in half and swallow it like pills.  Do so again the next morning, and the worst you'll get is a little tired for a day or two, but often not even that.  When I started traveling for work, the fresh garlic did not fare well in my suitcase, so I found some garlic supplements from NatureMade, and they've saved myself a time or two.  One box can last you a year or more because you only use it when you need it.  I keep a blister-pack of pills at my desk, my mother's house, and at home, so it's always around the minute I feel something.  I also noticed that the pills don't have the strong after effects that the fresh stuff does, but I'm always a fan of the least amount of processing available.

Even if you do get the symptoms - take the garlic anyway.  It's known for keeping a cold from progressing, due to the antiviral qualities.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

crystal M.
on 9/15/16 6:53 am - Joliet, IL

I have been trying out non-medicinal remedies lately.  Like someone mentioned the nettie pot is wonderful.  I have been giving essential oils a try.  I have found Eucalyptus is great for sinuses.  I actually have one of those wax warmers...you know to make your house smell nice.  I bought a bunch of unscented tea candles and took the wick out.  Put it in my warmer with a few drops of Eucalyptus and viola. 

I also found peppermint works well on headaches.  A little on my temples and it really does help with my headache.   

Most Active