Instant Pot-Do you love it? Yogurt

Sabrina J.
on 3/26/17 11:20 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

I am pretty close to getting an Instant Pot and have been reading in the Instant Pot Group about making Yogurt. First of all it sounds like it much easier to make in the Instant Pot than without, healthier and a big money saver. Do most of you use 2% milk? It looks like most of you strain it to make Greek...I know the benefit is thickness but is there really that much more protein in Greek after straining the Whey? Do you love your instant pot?

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/27/17 6:40 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I have one but dont use very often, in fact I just moved into garage since I havent :\ Lots of people love it, though! Just be sure you buy the correct one to make yogurt, they all look the same but not all have the yogurt function :) I believe you need the 7-in-1

if youre not in a rush, they pop up pretty often on sale. I watch www.slickdeals.net for stuff and you'll find on there. Heres a link for the search results, doesnt seem any are on sale CURRENTLY

https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?src=SearchBarV2&q=insta nt+pot&searcharea=deals&searchin=first

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Mary Gee
on 3/27/17 12:02 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I just made yogurt last night in my Instant Pot... came out great. I follow the recipe on the IP thread. I use 2% milk. If you read through the thread, I posted a breakdown of the nutritional value per MFP.

One note, be very careful to follow directions re temperature... I discovered my yogurt 'failures' were due to letting the mixture cool below 110 degrees between the two stages.

I find myself using my IP more and more. There are several 'Instant Pot' groups on Facebook.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Sabrina J.
on 3/27/17 2:42 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Thank you Mary - I will stick with that recipe and watch the heat!!

HonestOmnivore
on 3/27/17 12:25 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

Hi I'm jumping in with a off topic comment - I had a little herd of dairy goats for awhile and became pretty good at the yogurt thing. If you want an "easy" way to make yogurt here is my basic recipe:

Ingredients: 1 quart of milk (less quarter to half cup)

1/4 cup to 1/2 cup store bought plain yogurt* (I use Greek but really you just want any one of the yogurts with "active culture" which is usually all of the plain yogurts :)

1. fill a 1 qt or equivalent sized mason jar (old mayo jar, glass is better but plastic will work) to within two inches of the top with milk, I recommend nothing lower than 1%...
  2. If you are using store purchased (thus commercially pasteurized) milk, only heat it to about 110F (just warmer than body temp), by zapping it in the microwave for about 90 secondes ish... Then skip to step 5. If you're using raw or any sketchy milk go to the next step.
  3. Heat in a microwave 1 minute at a time (stirring****il it's about 180F, try not to boil it although when my husband makes it that's how he knows it ready - when my microwave is filled with milk foam. The purpose of this step is to kill off any "wild" yeast or cultures so that the one you introduce next doesn't have competition. Wild cultures vary significantly in taste (found this out the hard way).
  4. Loosely cover the jar and set a stove top or phone timer for 30 minutes - depending on the ambient temp of your kitchen keep resetting the timer but basically check the mil****il its around 110F (this really flexible so anything from 100 to 115 is usually fine).
  5. Stir in the store bought yogurt, mixing with an up-down swishing to assure the warm milk has been combined - you don't need to be excessive about this- 15 to 30 seconds is plenty of swishing.
  6. cover the Jar loosely (I partially screw on the top), wrap with a thick dishtowel and leave it on the counter over night.

Usually you're have a nice yogurt after 10-12 hours sitting on the counter. My sister keeps her house so cold in the winter that she has to leave her's in the oven with the oven light on for added heat.

Remember that yogurt is made all over the world in very primitive locations where thermometers and microwaves aren't available. They often let the yogurt sit longer to make up for a lack of heat.

*I make a fresh batch of yogurt as I'm running low on a current batch, using the last 1/4 to 1/2 cup to start the next batch. I reuse my own yogurt starter three or four times then pick up another store bought version. I've gone on for many generations, but over time different strains take over the culture and the taste can get to tart for me.

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

RNY_elizabeth
on 3/27/17 1:29 pm - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

I do love mine. I do make yogurt. I strain it to Greek. It is a money saver. I use whole milk most of the time.

~E

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Sabrina J.
on 3/27/17 7:51 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Thanks Elizabeth! I looked at a few of your posts and copied some of your recipes...you look awesome...congrats!!

RNY_elizabeth
on 3/28/17 7:48 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Thanks!

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

OneBlueSock
on 3/27/17 1:39 pm
RNY on 06/21/17

Do any of you add in vanilla to your yogurt? I have some vanilla beans to try adding it, but I wasn't sure at what stage to add it in! A quick google would probably tell me but I saw this thread and figured I'd ask!

Kelsey

Banded: 9/14/06

Band Removal: 3/15/17

Revision to RNY: 6/21/17!!!

I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement & physics

catwoman7
on 3/27/17 7:31 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

yes - I occasionally add vanilla bean paste to mine. I add it at the end - after I've cooked and femented and strained it.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active