Rant for the day

Roach
on 10/26/17 5:31 pm - OH
VSG on 05/25/16

Haven't posted in a while. Been trying to keep myself busy. I'm retired but work part time delivering subpoenas and also a couple days a week at Starbucks, gets me out of the house. I have been hanging in there at goal, plus or minus a few lbs. (Depending on the day).

While working at Starbucks, I have met quite a few people that are regulars whom have had bariatric surgery of one one kind or another. I have let them know about my journey so far, given help when asked, and passed on info. The people whom have some time under their wings and have done good, make good choices (ie., coffee, espresso, americanos, iced coffee..) I myself have always been a coffee drinker, usually with a shot or two of espresso or ristretto.

I understand that not everyone abides by the low carb lifestyle after weight loss surgery. But wether or not you are strict about your carb intake (I am), people's choices boggle my mind. Can't understand how someone can talk about just having had bariatric surgery, then proceed to order a Venti (large) white mocha or whatever kind of frapuchino (not even with sugar free syrup) and say they will keep it low calorie by using skim milk. It makes my head want to explode. Just a Fyi, if you're going to a coffee shop, be it Tim Hortons, Starbucks, or wherever, a ice cap, frap, mocha, sweetened lattee, or sweetened tea, is probably not the best choice to make.

Sry for the wall of txt. Just needed to vent a little...

Lina_Ann
on 10/26/17 5:40 pm

I have not had surgery yet, but I have noticed some people think all of a sudden they will never be able to gain weight again. I will be sticking to tea when I get my Timmies and Starbucks!

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Roach
on 10/26/17 5:57 pm - OH
VSG on 05/25/16

Not positive with Horton's but with Starbucks, just make sure to let them know "no sweetener" in the tea. A Venti tea comes with 8 pumps of liquid cane sugar by default. I will switch out my normal coffee every once in a while for Passion Tango Tea or Peach Infusion..with no sweetener (I add some sweet and low), and no water (straight tea base). Best of luck with your journey!

Lina_Ann
on 10/26/17 6:14 pm

By tea I meant herbal hot tea! But thank you for the advice. I have had the cold refreshers from Starbucks before, but they really bother my stomach (pre-op)

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Roach
on 10/26/17 7:28 pm - OH
VSG on 05/25/16

Definitely would not suggest the refreshers, there is a ton of sugar in the base juice for any of then. Not added sugar like the iced teas, which you can ask not to be included.

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/26/17 7:06 pm
I never drink my calories. I have a glass or OJ about 4 or 5 times a year and maybe an alcoholic drink about 2 or 3 times a year, but that is it.

If I'm going to have calories, I'm going to eat 'em.

Scott
Mell
on 10/27/17 7:35 am

I always think the same thing! While trying not to judge but Really!? I have a few friends who have gained the majority of their weight back and we go out together at times and they will complain about their weight and as I get my black coffee they order their sugar/calorie filled drink! I would not dare! I use my unsweetened soy latte (since soy has sugar in it sometimes) as a "treat" a few times a year!

I am not an angel by far, I do indulgent and do need to loose a few but a few days a week with a sugary drink will kill your program!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

sweetpotato1959
on 10/27/17 5:58 pm

I have found sugar,soy and MSG in any form throw me for a loop... .so generally use one of the new stevia products. for sweetner...I have a plant and one or two leaves does a cup of herbal tea just fine. coffee shop...rare, at least 2 years since been to one.

It shows us how seriously ( or not) people take their surgery and the blessing of using the tool it becomes for those who have been on this surgery train for a long time. The closer we can adhere to the teachings we have re: diet and nutrition the better our outcomes will be. I have no doubt, that many really plan to continue on the course, but are easily thrown off by every day desires.

Fredbear
on 10/29/17 10:32 am
VSG on 11/29/16

Starbucks doesn't sell coffee, they sell enormous coffee-flavored milkshakes with hundreds of calories.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Kathy S.
on 10/30/17 2:32 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

My go to Starbucks is a Venti hot tea, English Breakfast

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active