5 weeks after surgery and suddenly getting sick from eating.

gldnmyth
on 11/6/17 3:58 pm
Mini Gastric Bypass on 10/04/17

I had a mini-gastric bypass on 10/04/2017 and breezed through the first four weeks. I was told by my counselors that I can start eating meat, some veggies, etc. but everything I eat other than cottage cheese and my first couple of week diet makes me ill. Am I starting meat and veggies to early?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/6/17 7:41 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

It's entirely possible. Some people are slower healers than others, and there's no danger in going more slowly than advised for the transition back to "real" food.

If you're OK with cottage cheese, how about other foods that are similar in texture? Can you run some very moist cooked (or canned) chicken through a food processor to get it into a paste? How about pureed or very-mooshed beans?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Agran
on 11/6/17 7:41 pm

Yes. You would be best to ease into eating dense food. My surgeons program was 2-3 weeks liquid diet, followed by 2-3 weeks puréed food, then eat meat ( start with fish, eggs, chicken). It will take time for you to adjust. Don't push yourself during this stage. Stick to soft, easy to digest foods. You can get to the denser foods later

hope that helps.

White Dove
on 11/6/17 8:26 pm - Warren, OH

I could not eat meat until about month four. I was allowed but my body did not tolerate it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

minaque2
on 11/7/17 9:01 am

I am 3.5 months out and I am allowed everything but still can't really eat dense protein. I do well with soft fish though.

Valerie G.
on 11/8/17 5:30 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Start with the tenderest, moist meats at first. Think slow-cooked, like pot roast, roasted chicken (thighs are tenderest), crock-pot tender anything. If you dove right into chicken breast meat, it's likely to sit in your stomach like a rock (it did for me the entire first year).

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Henrykane4
on 11/11/17 6:36 am

That's really bad news for you mate. I hope you should consult to your doctor right now.

Most Active