Newbie here - what is minimum protein amount?

Newbie2U
on 2/2/18 8:10 am

I'm prepping for surgery right now with a liquid diet. What would you say is the minimum grams of protein to get a day? My doctor wants 100g but I've been lucky to get 60g. Is this going to hurt me down the road?

Thanks!

Writergurl08
on 2/2/18 8:45 am
RNY on 02/15/18

In my program, 60 is minimum, but up to 100 is preferred

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

theAntiChick
on 2/2/18 9:17 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Source: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-per-da y (But it mirrors what I was taught in nursing school)

The RDA is .36 g per pound of body weight.

For a 150-lb person that's 54g

HOWEVER. You need more if you're trying to lose weight, recover from illness or trauma (and surgery is a trauma), or build muscle.

A common recommendation is 1g per lb but I suspect that's for someone at their regular weight, because I certainly couldn't have gotten in 300+ g when I was my heaviest. Even now at 195 that's a LOT of protein.

I shoot for 130g personally, and 65g is my bare minimum based on my target weight.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Newbie2U
on 2/2/18 9:32 am

What do you drink/eat to get in 130g? I'm drinking AdvantEdge shakes and they are gagging me. I've tried Premier, Slimfast High Protein, Nectar, etc.

theAntiChick
on 2/2/18 10:45 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I still have to supplement to get that amount in. I drink Premier ready to drink most mornings for breakfast (I'm not much of a breakfast person). I also have unflavored powder that I add to soups, coffee, other drinks, yogurt, etc. With eggs and meat, I can usually get over 100g and can stretch it to 130g if I work at it.

I don't make it to my goal every day, but as long as I get my minimum every day and get close to my goal most days I figure I'm doing OK. But when I start going back to the gym I'll work harder to get the full 130g in.

I also am a year and a half out, and for right now (health issues this winter which is also why I haven't been at the gym) I'm maintaining my weight. I'm tall and apparently haven't messed up my system too badly as I'm able to maintain with about 1,800 to 2,000 cal/day. That gives me plenty of room to get 130g of protein in.

I doubt I'll need 130 forever, but until I'm where I want to be body composition-wise, more is better (within reason).

theAntiChick
on 2/2/18 10:55 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Just a suggestion - get some samples of some unflavored protein. Some places like GNC will have samples. There are also sampler packs from several of the big names you can get and they usually include an unflavored. I personally like Syntrax and Genepro, but there are several brands you can try and find the one you like. There's some controversy over Genepro because of their claims of double protein for the same measurement of powder, but I find it mixes better with hot drinks so I use it. Some people will count Genepro at 1/2 of the protein the manufacturer claims, I count it as full because my sis-in-law with her PhD in chemistry looked at it and said the claims were plausible.

When you want to mix any protein powder with a hot drink, there's a trick... mix it with a small amount of lukewarm water and then add that to the hot drink. Keeps it from clumping.

Post-op, I got sick of the super-sweet protein drinks and pudding and whatever. Unjury makes a protein chicken soup that's not bad, but I didn't lay in a supply so I just mixed unflavored with boullion (however you spell that). Later when I started having coffee periodically, I'd add it to coffee. It changes the texture a bit, but usually doesn't affect the flavor.

If you haven't found it yet, I highly recommend the website http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ ... She has a lot of ideas about getting through post-op and lots of really good recipes to try.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/3/18 7:13 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Most people find that their tastes change quite a bit after surgery, particularly regarding protein shakes. You may want to try again after your procedure and see how things go down.

I found that I did much better with shakes when I couldn't smell them. I got an insulated tumbler with a straw, and it was a BIG help-- I didn't gag at all.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Janet P.
on 2/2/18 9:22 am
On February 2, 2018 at 4:10 PM Pacific Time, Newbie2U wrote:

I'm prepping for surgery right now with a liquid diet. What would you say is the minimum grams of protein to get a day? My doctor wants 100g but I've been lucky to get 60g. Is this going to hurt me down the road?

Thanks!

The answer will depend on the type of WLS you are having, which you do not say. Are you asking about the amount of protein you should be getting now or after surgery?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Newbie2U
on 2/2/18 9:36 am

I am having RNY. I'm not hungry (well, not REALLY hungry) at 60g of protein, but I want my body to be able to react to the trauma of surgery. The drinks I'm drinking gag me and I've tried a bunch.

NYMom222
on 2/2/18 9:44 am
RNY on 07/23/14

100 is preferable, you won't be there right after surgery but work up to close to it. You will just be pretty much eating protein for a long While.... so you will get there. Protein drinks are really required to get to that amount. I drank a protein drink every day for the first 2 years.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active