9 year surgaversary today!

ljbarbara
on 2/23/18 7:16 pm

Wow! Its hard to believe it was 9 years ago today that I was sleeved and 2 years ago that I was revised to RNY. I got along really well with my sleeve, BUT the GERD was imposible to live with. Im so glad I did the revision and I encourage anyone thinking about the revision for GERD related issues to go ahead and get it done.

So, I've been in maintenance for a long time and have picked up a few tips along the way that I'd like to share.

First I'd like to say that everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for the next person. Everyone loses weight differently, manages pain differently, has different sets of home life and social situations. It can make it very difficult to compare your progress with someone else. It's best to see things as a rule of thumb rather than engraved in stone.

There are things that are non-negotiable: We must get our protein, water and vitamins in as directed by our physicians or weight loss center.

Exercise: Its recommended and everyone has their own thoughts about what works best for them. Some people belong to a gym, some people are runners or swimmers or hikers. I'm a walker. Some people don't do any at all. It's ok, it's their journey.

Watch out for transfer addictions. Im not going to go into any long explanation here so i encourage you to read about transfer addictions. I will share my personal experience.

About 7 years ago I realized that I was drinking way too much wine. I don't even like the taste of alcohol! I considered that to be a transfer addiction and stopped drinking completely. It was a rough spell for me, and I'm glad I recognized what was going on. If you have suddenly taken up quilting, that's not a bad thing. If you are spending your entire household budget on it, well you just might have a problem.

Some things I do to help me stay on track in maintenance are:

I log what I eat every single day. No exceptions.

I still use baby forks and spoons (at home). It forces you to take small bites and to eat slow. They don't work for everything, but you'd be amazed at what you can eat with those little things.

I rarely eat processed foods.

I absolutely, no two ways about it, eat chips, cookies, cake, pie or candy. I will say a little something about this later on.

I never, ever say I'm bad or that I did something bad in regards to eating. I might get off track, but it doesnt make me a bad person. It makes me human. I accept it as an err in judgement and move on.

I eat every 2 - 3 hours. They are small meals and I average 1200 - 1500 calories a day. I was just not happy eating 3 meals and a snack a day. That's just me and how I roll. We all have to recognize what works for us personally and make a commitment to stick with it.

The carb monster. While in my honeymoon period, I stayed low carb. Not so much now in maintenance . I do have a baked potato with butter now and then. I will eat some fries with my fish and chips. I do eat pasta now and then. For me, it works. I would never ever eat a dinner roll, or bread for that matter. I know what my personal downfalls are. Someone else might just smell a baked potato and gain 5 pounds. We are all different.

Cookies, candy, cake etc...No way. It just doesnt work for me. I cant do it. I do not fell deprived. I dont miss any of it. One thing i do allow myself is 1/2 tablespoon mini chocolate chips in my yogurt. I use measuring spoons and log it. Its 35 calories added into a 100 calorie (14 gm protein) yogurt. That to me is the best treat ever. Im satisfied. That doesnt mean it will work for anyone else. Its my thing.

This website is phenomenal. There are so many people here that have so much to say and share. Lots of support and information.

I know I've said a lot. I absolutely am not saying that my way is the right way. These are just my observations, thoughts and things that have worked for me.

Peace and love to you all!

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/24/18 3:01 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Congratulations on 9 years! Great advice and good to hear that people like you are still maintaining over the long run.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

ljbarbara
on 2/24/18 5:52 pm

Thanks Liz!

peachpie
on 2/24/18 3:19 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Great insights! Thanks for sharing and congrats!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

ljbarbara
on 2/24/18 5:53 pm

Thanks Peach!

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/18 3:58 am

Great morning read! Thanks and congrats!!

ljbarbara
on 2/24/18 5:54 pm

Thanks Happiness!

karenp8
on 2/24/18 7:01 am - Brighton, IL

Congratulations on all your success and thanks for sharing your story with us. I love hearing from others who are farther out and still keeping the weight off. Don't be such a stranger here!

ljbarbara
on 2/24/18 6:00 pm

Thanks Karen!

VSGAnn2014
on 2/24/18 11:45 am
VSG on 08/14/14

What a lovely, encouraging post. It's also great to hear that you've found a regimen that works so well for you.

Thanks for dropping in. Would love to hear more insights from you, as you find time to offer them. We don't have a lot of people here with 9 years experience after WLS. That makes you one of the celebrities. :)

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Most Active