Doctor says I have to eat every two hours, but what?

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/18 6:13 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

My blood sugar is running very low, and she says I have to eat every two hours, but she said to eat things like hard candy, but I don't really WANT to eat hard candy every two hours. Have any of you gone through something similar? What do you eat, or what can I eat that's not candy Will things like nuts/cheese/jerky raise blood sugar? I love my doctor, but sometimes she's so dang vague as if I should just know everything already.

peachpie
on 7/9/18 6:55 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

How does she know it's running low? What have you numbers been- and is she following it over time? One test wouldnt be enough to convince me it's running low. I'd sooner see an endocrinologist to see if there is true concern over the long run. And the every two hours things sounds odd, seems like testing would be in order to see if you need to eat something to boost your level.

I believe you can buy glucose tabs at the pharmacy-- but I have no idea of the stats for them.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/18 7:27 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

No she hadn't followed it, she did blood work in April, and then I just had blood work again, but that is all the testing had been.

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/18 7:39 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I did some googling after you asked and most tests include daily monitoring with a glucose machine. So now I am confused why she would tell me my blood sugar is running low and to eat every two hours if I have only had 2 blood tests. Maybe I will buy a little meter from the pharmacy and keep track for awhile on my normal diet.

Melody P.
on 7/9/18 7:58 pm - Amarillo, TX

Walmart's reli on is cheap and accurate.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/10/18 5:40 am

Did they check you A1C? High A1C indicate BS running high,. Low A1C indicate low average BS.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/18 8:14 am
VSG on 01/12/17

She did not mention an a1c number to me at all.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/10/18 8:39 am

You need to get a copy of the results and you need to start tracking it yourself.

That is very important. The docs only have issues if the numbers are outside of normal. They often (almost always) dot care if the numbers are low normal or high normal.

I was having a hard time app 2 years post op and the docs were telling me my numbers are normal. They were- but just barley. Specially the ones that can cause low energy, depression, etc.

Once a old time vet from OH looked at my number she noticed that my protein, B12, D3, iron, RBC were all just barely normal - at the very bottom of the range. I had enough not to die, but not enough to have fun living my life. I was breathless just walking up the stairs. I would fall asleep sitting up after a double espresso. When I got my numbers in a mid or above mid range - I finally started feeling better. But it took me close to 6 months to get there.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Deb366
on 7/16/18 12:11 pm
I have reactive hypoglycemia from my RNY. I don't eat every two hours but maybe 5 times a day. So fiber and fat help keep the blood sugar level and protein helps balance it. What to eat depends on you and what you can eat. But some ideas- nuts or nut butter, seeds, cheeses or dairy, meat, tuna a hard boiled egg....so if I was having tuna I would have seed crackers with it. I used to make my own bars that had tons of fiber and nuts and made with eggs. So then if you can eat fruit, you can add fruit or a regular cracker or something with corn...which are carbs, which is like sugar. With my hypoglycemia if my blood sugar goes way up, then it goes way down which is not good. I wouldn't do candy or juice because of that. You could also ask the doctor to refer you to a dietician to help you with food issues, but I can't see telling someone to eat candy who had WLS surgery!

Currently 125  pounds
The Salty Hag
on 7/9/18 7:54 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Is it running low after meals? And if so, how soon after? Are you noticing any low blood sugar symptoms? How long/often have you /your doctor been testing it? Were you previously diabetic? What are your numbers fasting and post prandial? If it helps, my fasting glucose runs about 76. I get symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia when I hit the low 50's. By 43, I'm a mess and can barely think, speak, or remember how to raise my blood sugar. It's scary stuff. Of course, people vary in their "yikes" levels.

As an RNY post op, if I eat too many simple carbs, I get reactive hypoglycemia, but I'm unfamiliar with VSG and that possibility. ( hey, I rhymed! ) It started at 2 years out for me.

If I stay away from simple carbs and fruit ( it kills my BS, I haven't had a piece of fruit in 3 years. ), I can avoid those symptoms, but I do realize that your case may be completely different. ( In other words, I'm not saying you're carbing it up and that's why your blood sugar is running low. )

When my BS starts to plummet, I can tell right away that something is no bueno and I can drink a glass of whole milk to get it up quickly and then have a lower carb protein with plenty of fat to stabilize my BS. If I let the RH symptoms go too long ( like to 43), it's harder to stabilize it, but I've never tried to eat pure sugar to raise it, though some people can do that successfully. I'd be too afraid I'd ride the glucose roller coaster if I tried that. YMMV.

Bottom line, if it were me, I would ask about other options for keeping your blood sugar steady. The prospect of eating candy would freak me out. I'm getting twitchy just thinking about it.

I get the eating every two hours, I know there are a few people on the boards who have to eat that often. Hopefully they'll chime in.

I hope you can find a good, candy free solution!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Most Active