VSL#3 Probiotic backordered everywhere. Is there another probiotic as potent?

frankurban
on 2/8/19 7:45 pm - CA

I had a Duodenal Switch 10 years ago. I experimented with several probiotics to help curb gas and loose stool issues and VSL#3 has worked best for me. It's a medical grade probiotic with over 100 billion live probiotic bacteria and it has to be stored in the fridge. It's pretty hardcore stuff.

However, it runs out of stock locally... a lot. I'm in LA, can't find it anywhere and ordered some through their website. Unfortunately, that won't deliver until Wednesday and I run out by the end of today.

VSL#3 is also VERY expensive. I take 3 capsules a day. The 60 capsule bottle is about $55!

Is anyone aware of another probiotic (or combination of probiotics) that's as potent as VSL#3? Preferably a less expensive option.

I posted a similar question a few years ago to the DS forum, but no one new of an alternative back then; https://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/6012237/VLS3-Is-Amazin g-But-EXPENSIVE-Help/action,replies/topic_id,6012237/page,1/

Frank
Candrews1
on 2/9/19 7:01 am - Jackson, TN
RNY on 04/17/15

https://www.bariatricadvantage.com/item/probiotic-chewable

Been using these for years. I have them on auto ship.

Height=5"4' Age=49 RNY=04/17/2015

HW=285, CW=205, LW=197, GW=195

My exercise motto-Further or faster!!!

frankurban
on 2/9/19 1:05 pm - CA

Thanks, Candrews...

Unfortunately there's quite a potency difference there. The Bariatric Advantage one has 10 billion live organisms per pill, the VSL#3 has 112.5 billion + a much wider variety of probiotic bacteria.

I remember looking at that one years ago, though. It's been around for a long time. I never tried it because it has sorbitol and xylitol in it. Those can cause intestinal problems. Not sure why they include that stuff.

That said, if it's working for you, stick with it.

Frank
frankurban
on 2/9/19 2:22 pm - CA

It's been a long time since I've shopped for probiotics. I see that Garden of Life has some in the 100CFU range now. I just placed an order that will get to me by tomorrow.

Is finding the right probiotic truly a trial and error thing... or are there guidelines on which probiotics will work best based on your symptoms?

I had slight IBS-D which became worse after my duodenal switch. I'd love to find a cheaper probiotic that solves the problem. Money is tight and I could have taken a nice vacation with what I've spent on VSL#3... ha.

Frank
H.A.L.A B.
on 2/9/19 10:07 pm

I know Costco and Sam's carry them (at least in my area)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active